What's new

Assinine visa question

Mikawa Ossan

いかんわ!
17 Sep 2005
If your status of residency is "spouse of Japanese National", but you get divorced, do you lose your status?

I know how stupid this question sounds, but please just humour me for now. Although I am certain I know the answer, I would like to hear other people's thoughts. It is not merely academic; this is very relavent for me at this moment in time.

I though revenant was posting stuff regarding this matter... check his posts or send him a PM.

And contact the official guys.

Last edited:
Been answering this one for ages.

You do NOT lose your visa until it expires, even if you get a divorce. For reference, look here (Immigration Procedures Guidebook). Immigration Services Agency of Japan

Q18 I got married with a Japanese citizen and have stayed in Japan with the status of residence "Spouse or Child of Japanese National." If I get divorced with the Japanese citizen during my period of stay, will the immigration control authority revoke my status of residence?
A. Since the status of residence "Spouse or Child of Japanese National" is listed on Annexed Table II of Immigration Control Act, your status of residence will not be revoked even if you reside in Japan with such resident status and get divorced with your Japanese spouse during your period of stay.

Thank you for your replies. As it turns out, the answers you have provided are too bad for me, for I decided not to apply for a change of status upon marriage. Actually, I was going to and all ready to until my "Dear John" letter came.

I didn't feel it was right to apply for such status when I already knew that the marriage was over.

Turns out I was wrong, but it's still good to know. Thanks again for your replies!

Why do you think I'm not happy?

EDIT: I'm sorry, I should be more clear.

My thoughts exactly, Mike. My thoughts exactly.

Thank you for your replies. As it turns out, the answers you have provided are too bad for me, for I decided not to apply for a change of status upon marriage. Actually, I was going to and all ready to until my "Dear John" letter came.
I didn't feel it was right to apply for such status when I already knew that the marriage was over.
Turns out I was wrong, but it's still good to know. Thanks again for your replies!
You could always make the Spouse Visa a precondition of stamping any divorce papers. (j/k) 😌😌...

Seriously, though, MO, I am very sorry for what you're having to deal with that things didn't happen quite as expected. But I do hope you are still working and can start feeling better very soon !! :) 😄

Mikawa,
Your whole post makes no sense to me.

You talk about getting divorced and losing a spouse visa, but then you write about not applying for a change of status of residence when you got married. I interpret that as meaning you didn't get a spouse visa. So, why ask about it in the first place?

The advice I gave was as clear as it gets. Straight from immigration. "Too bad" for you? How can that be? If you do have that spouse visa, is should be great news. You can stay here until it expires, but you will also have to get another type of visa to stay beyond that.

What exactly is your situation? Your profile says you are in Aichi. I assume you are here on some sort of visa (status of residence), so please tell us what that is, and what it's expiration is.

It's too bad for me exactly because I didn't change my status of residence to that of spouse of Japanese national. My current status of residence is irrelavant.

My situation?

I got married in MAY. I was happy. I change my family name. I was planning to switch my status of residence, and even gathered the necessary papers. I wanted the freedom of the spouse SOR so I could do an additional part time job to bring in some extra money. We were planning to move in together to a new apartment.

Next thing I know, she backs out of the apartment. She starts telling me all the ways she's unhappy. Before I know it, she's talking about divorce. She mailed me the divorce papers last week.

It makes no sense to you? Right now I couldn't care less. Frankly I want it to make sense to me first.

Your status of residence is NOT irrelevant. If you have been here since May, are you a tourist overstayer, or do you have a proper visa?

I feel sorry for your situation, but you have to think of what you need to do if you want to stay here.

Back
Top Bottom