What's new

Society Asahi interview with Mark Takano

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Interesting interview with Mark Takano, a Japanese-American who is the first openly gay person of colour elected to the U.S. Congress. Mr Takano urges Japan to join other G7 nations in legally protecting LGBT people and calls on PM Kishida to make Japan a country worthy of its G7 membership.

His evaluation of the Japanese political establishment is spot-on.

I think the activists in Japan are absolutely correct in seeking non-discrimination against LGBT people. What is needed are legal protections of the basic rights of LGBT people so that they can avoid harassment or unfair treatment at school or the workplace. Japanese people are far ahead of the government. If more than half of the people approve of a certain issue in my own districts here in America, I would be quite confident that it's time to move forward on the issue. I think it's a tiny minority within the LDP that is stopping Japan from emerging as the nation that they already are.

Sometimes it very hard to believe or understand how much things have changed since I grew up in the 50's. My childhood
200.gif
Sunday school teacher would describe today's world as Sodom & Gomorrah , LOL.

Back
Top Bottom