What's new

Applying to ECC

hollydesu14

Registered
5 Jun 2014
Hello there!

My boyfriend and I are planning to apply to ECC next year and I have two concerns.

1. My boyfriend was born in Guatemala but came to the states when he was 6. Since then, (he is 30) he had all of his education in English. He speaks it and understands it like a native speaker. He hardly has a Spanish accent. Will this be an issue?

2. Should we look for apartments ourselves instead of ECC housing? How can we do that? I want to bring my cat but don't want to go through their housing because I read that they don't allow pets.

Thank you! :)

Does you BF carry an American passport? If he does and has NS proficiency, I do not think that it will even come up.

Bringing a pet is a nightmare. I am not sure about cat regulations, but dogs are quarantined (longer for non-pups) at your expense and it bring a puppy over form the UK cost about $2000 USD when it was all said and done.

Most rentals have no pet rules.

I would strongly advise against bringing your pet.

Yes, my boyfriend has a passport and social security card. I would just hate that he lost a chance to go because of that.

As far as the quarantine process I don't mind because I spoke with my vet and my cat is up to date. I plan to get that done pretty quickly so she can be monitored for 12 hours instead of the 180 days. But I really don't want to give her up (been together since 2008) and if there are any success stories of bringing cats in Japan that would be helpful. But if not I'll try to make a plan...

Yes, my boyfriend has a passport and social security card. I would just hate that he lost a chance to go because of that.

Then I would not even bring it up that he spent part of his childhood outside of the US.

As far as the quarantine process I don't mind because I spoke with my vet and my cat is up to date.

OK, good luck (but it is not that simple).

http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/dog/pdf/guidenonfree-e.pdf
窶慊ョ窶「ツィナ椎ク窶ーuツ焦?/Entry??Dogs?&?Cats

If he naturalized or was otherwise changed to American, then that's all that needs to be said in any application. He's American. Period. Later, only later, does it have to come to light that he has foreign heritage. If he speaks Spanish, perhaps that will be an advantage, for example, or he might know something about the culture of his birth country.

American passport. Done.

Leave your cat with someone. You'll run into more cases than not where you won't even be allowed to keep it there. For the ones who let you, you'll pay higher rent. Quarantine is another thing, and that's your decision whether he will suffer there (or on the plane).

Housing. ECC lets you use theirs, but if memory serves, you must use it, or you pay for it even if you have housing of your own. Go to the ESL Cafe discussion group for the latest update on that (and perhaps any ways around it). The bugger is how to find a place upon arrival, I agree. You could stay in a gaijin house (guest house) for a while and pay by the week, but where are you going? Maybe they don't have any. Also, look into Leo Palace for a furnished place with Internet access already lined up. Talk to folks on the ESL Cafe first, though.

Do English schools still run the scam of "providing" housing, sticking several teachers in together, and charging each of them the full rent on the place?

The worst part may have been how they acted like they were doing the teachers a favor while screwing them like that.

Didn't NOVA go bankrupt sometime ago? But now their back and as bad as they once were?

I forget the details, but yes they did die a well deserved death some years back. They're back on a much punier scale. They used to be everywhere.

NOVA went bankrupt, but it was bought out by someone who has kept it going with the same chain name. The president of NOVA was the one who fouled things up and has gone to prison, I believe. Haven't been on the discussion forums to learn how different the new management is, but it can't be worse!

Go to the ESL Cafe and ask.

Back
Top Bottom