What's new

1kyu JLTP - What good is it?

Fantt

Envious of Nabeshin's Fro
29 Jun 2003
Besides bragging rights, what good does passing the ikkyu JLTP test do for you? Does it open some doors that are ordinarily shut or is it just justification for years of study?

I'm not near that level of profeciency now, but I'd like to shoot for it, especially if there's anything waiting on the other side.

Same thing levels 4-2 do. Prove that you can pass that level of the test... and that's about it.

I'm sure you can use it on a resume when trying to secure a bilingual job with a Japanese firm in your home country, or vice versa. I know in here in the US there are annual Japanese job expos on either coast for bilingual candidates. I'd be willing to bet an 1kyuu would help back up any claims you would make.

if you want6 to be a translator or interpretor some jobs over here require you to have this test but of course on top of the test results you will need ability
basically the 1kyu in itself is not all that useful if you dont have ability

Fantt said:
Besides bragging rights, what good does passing the ikkyu JLTP test do for you? Does it open some doors that are ordinarily shut or is it just justification for years of study?

Brings you some sanity to know that all those years of painful study added up to something 👍

For me its a personal test, that I've worked hard and acheived a goal, to prospective employers its proof of a skill. Guess it would be useful - comparing someone who says they have good Japanese language skills, and someone who has a JLPT certif and says they have good skills 🙂

MeAndroo said:
I'm sure you can use it on a resume when trying to secure a bilingual job with a Japanese firm in your home country, or vice versa. I know in here in the US there are annual Japanese job expos on either coast for bilingual candidates. I'd be willing to bet an 1kyuu would help back up any claims you would make.

I've had numerous job interviews for jobs in 100% Japanese work environments, and I've always included the fact that I have passed Level 2 on my 履歴書.

Two points:

1. So far, I haven't interviewed with a single employer who had ever even heard of the JLPT.

2. They wouldn't give it much weight anyway, since they go more by what proficiency you can demonstrate in the course of the interview than by what some piece of paper purports you to be capable of.

I've had numerous job interviews for jobs in 100% Japanese work environments, and I've always included the fact that I have passed Level 2 on my 履歴書.

Ditto. They will figure out how good of a grasp of the language you have in the interview. I've many friends that have passed the 1-kyuu and have a lower communication level than yours truly.

Hey there...

Ikkyuu is a very nice test if you are thinking of going into written translation work. The material that you have to cover to pass the test is very useful. It's not going to make a massive impact on your resume - job experience is the main factor there (of course).

If you are looking to open doors, what you need are personal contacts. To get those you need to network, and then grind those sesame seeds (if you know that phrase).

I'm happy I took the time to study for Ikkyu, mostly because of the grammar that I learned in the process. On my resume, the most useful qualification is my professional translation qualification (NAATI), followed by university qualifications.

mikecash said:

Two points:

1. So far, I haven't interviewed with a single employer who had ever even heard of the JLPT.

2. They wouldn't give it much weight anyway, since they go more by what proficiency you can demonstrate in the course of the interview than by what some piece of paper purports you to be capable of.

Damn, it's a good thing I procrastinated on signing up so much...nothing like taking a test to find out it's practically meaningless.

お帰りなさい、Scrivener. Glad to see you back; I'm sure there are others who are glad as well. :)

MeAndroo said:
Damn, it's a good thing I procrastinated on signing up so much...nothing like taking a test to find out it's practically meaningless.

My personal anecdotes shouldn't necessary be broadly applied, as the sector I work normally doesn't hire non-Japanese at all and hence couldn't really be expected to know about the test. For some other sectors which more traditionally make use of foreign employees I feel sure the test is more likely to be known and to carry more weight on a resume.

Back
Top Bottom