What's new

毎年 / 毎月 pronunciation

pacerier

先輩
1 Apr 2009
Is 毎年 more commonly read as まいとし or まいねん? And if we have 毎年毎年 to mean "year after year", will it be read as まいとしまいとし or まいねんまいねん. Similarly, what's the preferred pronunciation for 毎月 (まいげつ / まいつき), 毎月毎月

Is 毎年 more commonly read as まいとし or まいねん? And if we have 毎年毎年 to mean "year after year", will it be read as まいとしまいとし or まいねんまいねん. Similarly, what's the preferred pronunciation for 毎月 (まいげつ / まいつき), 毎月毎月

Both まいとし and まいねん are OK. I think まいとし is more commonly used. As for まいげつ,
I seldom hear it used.

I would say in fact 月々(つきづき)、月ごと and どの月も、may all be more popular than まいげつ.

heys thanks for the replies. i've came across 月々 before, however how may we use 月ごと and どの月も?

Both まいとし and まいねん are OK. I think まいとし is more commonly used. As for まいげつ,
I seldom hear it used.
Does まいとし seem more "correct" in a formal sense ? It's the only one I hear on the news... :)

Does まいとし seem more "correct" in a formal sense ? It's the only one I hear on the news... :)

I hear both まいとし and まいねん used by news anchors (that DOES mean something, yes? lol) so I don't think one is more correct than the other. To MY ear though, まいとし sounds better.

I hear both まいとし and まいねん used by news anchors (that DOES mean something, yes? lol) so I don't think one is more correct than the other. To MY ear though, まいとし sounds better.
Oh, OK. 読み易いほうを使うのがよいと思います。:D

Probly just because I listen to one anchor and have heard it まいとしa few times this week.
:)

Back
Top Bottom