What's new

は and が

thesuker

先輩
20 May 2014
Im trying to grasp the difference between は and が. I more or less understand it, but with difficulty. For example, why

それは椅子です

but

椅子があります

Is あります a verb that forcefully requires が?

は and が

That is a chair.

There is a chair.

How would you explain the difference between those two? Think about it.

(Your example sentences are going to lead down a different path than the difference between は and が. You're asking about the difference between です and あります).

In the first you describe 'that' and in the second you assert the existence of the chair, which I think is the difference between です and あります. We use は in the first because its talking about the chair, and が in the second because the chair is the one doing the action (exist)?

Depending on the context, が is also possible in the first sentence.

Now, another thought exercise...

What is the difference between:

This is a CHAIR.

THIS is a chair.

(With the caps indicating which word is verbally stressed, of course).

In the second we stress that this (the subject), and nothing else, is important. In the first we stress that the description, what it is, is important.

Last edited:
は and が

Imagine it in a conversation:

A. What is this?
B. This is a chair.

A. Which is a chair?
B. This is a chair.

Which word did you stress in each? Now, imagine them with the wrong words stressed:

A. What is this?
B. THIS is a chair.

A. Which is a chair?
B. This is a CHAIR.

No words have changed. The word order hasn't changed. But if you only heard them, with the stress like that, you'd find them very jarring.

I bring this all up merely to illustrate that the two languages perform the same communicative task by using a very different set of tools. English uses stress markers while Japanese uses different particles.

これは何ですか?
それは椅子です。

どれが椅子ですか?
これが椅子です。

An easy way to remember the use and one that will help you MOST of the time is to remember that in alphabetical order, ga comes before ha (or wa, works both ways) and that ga usually stresses what comes before while ha usually stresses what comes afterwards.

It isn't 100% foolproof, but anything that will get you past the 50/50 random chance of picking the right one is a help.

All statements can serve as the answer to some question, even if none was asked. Sometimes it may help to ask yourself "What question would this statement be an answer to?" That will help you see what "missing" information you're providing, and thus which bit would be stressed, and which of が or は is appropriate.

So, for example, if there were a bunch of pencils on a table and someone asked me which was mine, I'd say

これ が 私 の です, emphasizing that THIS is my pencil

and if there were only one pencil and someone asked whose it is, I'd say

これ は 私 の です, emphasizing that This is MY pencil

Also, when you say it works most of the time, you mean except when が or は are used for explicit stuff (i.e.contrast, certain verbs, etc)?

I would say your examples are correct, but in the case of は and が a non-native is going out on a limb pretty much every time, so take my assessment with a grain of salt.

I say it works most of the time primarily because there is always some exception or contextual factor hiding in the shadows waiting to bite us on the butt.

If there weren't any were would the fun in learning a language be? (^_^;) Thanks a bunch Mike-san.

it is said there are not ndefinite article and ... in Japanese.
however..
I think がis like+ an indefinite article
わ is like +a definite article

昔々、おじいさんとおばあさんが(ga)おりました。おじいさんは(wa)、山へ柴刈りに……

Back
Top Bottom