What's new

Zori? Obi? I need help!

3 Jan 2004
I need a nice pair of zori, but have no idea where to look for any. I've tried online sites, but can't, for the life of me, find anything other than tatami zori (which is what I DON'T want). I want something a little more formal. I wear a US women's 8.5 without socks, and a size 9 with socks. If anyone knows a site where I can find nice zori in the size I'd need, or knows what size I need, it would be helpful.

Also, I'm trying to recreate this outfit: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/waffles_r_us/ritsucover.jpg But I can't tell what kind of obi knot/tie that is. At first I was assuming it was a drum knot, but then... I realized it doesn't exactly look like one, so I thought it might be a bow, but the bottom looks a bit too... square? I have no idea what's going on with that obi. :?

Also, can anyone tell what kind of kimono that is/might be and what kind of material I should (try to) make it out of? I haven't had any luck in finding a kimono even remotely lke that (or an obi like in the picture), so I'm just going to make my own (same with the obi).

Thanks!

Oh! I've never seen that knot before! It really does seem like that might be it. :)

Unfortunately, I live in the US. :/

Thank you for your help, though! It's greatly appreciated.

I have a couple of books in my closet from when I when I used to go to classes to learn to tie my fiancee's obi. I know it's an unusual thing for a guy to learn, but we had a number of formal functions to attend away from home earlier this year and she didn't have anyone else travelling with her to tie her up (so to speak!!!) so I had to study.

Although I didn't learn that particular style, my books have a very large number of different knots and variations with detailed instructions on how to tie them. I'd have a look now, but she's asleep and her futon is right in front of the closet doors so I'd have to wake her to get at the books. If I can find anything similar I'll try and post something in the next couple of days, although I can't promise I'll have what you need.

"Unfortunately, I live in the US."

try asking around at an asian market/resturant
gl

Back
Top Bottom