What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

"Zoku", what is the meaning of this word for you?

veerle

後輩
Reaction score
Hi!

I have a question for the Japenese people, or those who have been living there for a while and speak fluent Japanese. I work for a concept development agency for new hotel concepts, and we found the Japanese word "Zoku" to be a nice name for one of our new concept. We understood from a Japanese teacher that it means "Clan", "Tribe", or "Family", but she said it had a negative meaning for her as well.
I was wondering, what do you feel when you hear the word "Zoku" (positive or negative connection)?
Hope some people can help me! Very much appreciate it in advance!

Shiriu

先輩
Reaction score
I must say that I am not fluent at all in Japanese.
But what I know is that zoku can mean several things : bandit as in kai-zoku 海賊 (pirate, sea bandit) or sen-zoku 山賊 (brigand).
But there is also zoku that means as you said, clan, tribe : as in ka-zoku 家族 (family) or ki-zoku 貴族 (noble).
As far as I am concerned, I don't feel this word as a very positive one. Anyway, I'm waiting for someone more skilled than me to answer your question.

Last edited:

veerle

後輩
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply! its ok that you are not fluent, any response is valuable to me :)

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Indeed, 族[zoku] is used in compound words 民族[minzoku], 家族[kazoku], 種族[shuzoku], etc., and has those meanings in these words, but it's usually never used as a single word "zoku". A single kanji word 族[zoku] is a slang for 暴走族[bousouzoku] "motorcycle gang", so the "zoku" hotel sounds like a yakuza hotel to me. 😌

veerle

後輩
Reaction score
Thank you! i really appreciate your help! guess i will have to look for a new word then:) or a combination of positive words to put with the single "zoku" word

Top Bottom