What's new

YouTube deletes 30,000 Japanese copyright clips on request

yukio_michael

後輩
8 Mar 2005
I was just noticing that a good portion if not ALL of the Japanese music video and television clips that I've bookmarked from YouTube have been taken down due to copyright violations, if you want to use such heavy worded language, when I noticed this article....

http://www.digitalworldtokyo.com/2006/10/youtube_deletes_30000_japanese.php

The files are mostly entertainment and music TV programs and were discovered during a five-day audit of the site that started October 2, Oikawa said.

The 23 companies that backed JASRAC include all of Japan's major TV networks, public broadcaster Nippon Hoso Kyokai (NHK), some regional and cable TV broadcasters, and other organizations including the Recording Industry Association of Japan (RIAJ) and Yahoo Japan.

It's not the first time YouTube has been in the cross hairs of Japanese broadcasters. Earlier this year NHK asked the site to remove a clip of a children's song and said it would go after other files on the site.

YouTube has a lot of Japanese TV clips compared to those of other nations because of the strong cult following that Japanese pop culture has around the world.

It's completely ignorant--- and it serves no real purpose. This is another example of companies, and not surprising that they are Japanese entertainment companies, which do not "get it"... This is not dissimilar to Saturday Night Live pulling all of its content from the internet, lest someone not purchase one of the DVDs. At a time when the "Lazy Sunday" video made YouTube one of the most popular sites on the internet, and a more popular site than Google Video, SNL decided that it would be in its best interest to keep people from ever knowing again why they should bother to turn the televison on in the first place.

I wonder if it has anything to do with

Google buys YouTube for $1.65bn
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6034577.stm
I saw that too, I can't imagine that it doesn't have at least a very little something to do with it. Google tends to have certain moralistically chosen policies that come into play in their business practices, accept that is, when it comes to silencing dissedents in China, which they seem to be quite happy doing in order to keep google in that region.

One of my video clips I uploaded there was deleted and it's fine because I admit it was violation of copyright.

However, what they did to my friends was a bit too strict, I think. They filmed themselves dancing to some Japanese pop songs and they are both now suspended. Aww I miss their dancing....

Last edited:
When companies get bigger, they have to be more cautious because they don't want to be sued. Not only Youtube, some other smaller video sites do the same thing too. *shrugs* There's nothing we can do. I miss those videos though.

When companies get bigger, they have to be more cautious because they don't want to be sued. Not only Youtube, some other smaller video sites do the same thing too. *shrugs* There's nothing we can do. I miss those videos though.

Yeah, I understand that.

*shrugs too*

I don't think that it has anything to do with google. YouTube routinely goes out and clears out copyright content. This was just a large dump of Japanese related content that is why it came to the forefront. Almost anyday if you attempt to watch many popular US TV show clips on YouTube there will be a message stating that the content was protected and has thus been removed.

With that said, I don't see the point. Artists are only hurting themselves when they complain about free sharing of files. To me it gets you more exposure, and more exposure in entertainment = more $$$$!

I can understand when someone takes part of a DVD, rips it to a divx file, and then uploads that--- Sure ed: even though, it's a worse quality, and one that can't easily be downloaded by the end user...

...What I don't understand is, is it really necissary to take down Bakushou mondai and that sort of thing...? I mean, whom is it hurting if people are able to watch clips of these programs online.... There isn't any other way outside of downloading torrents to get this material, which is sadly what you have to go back to...

If these people were smart, they'd realise, on YouTube, at least they have the ability if they wish to control content by making a deal w/ YouTube, as some other entertainment conglomerates have done... I don't even want to get into the individual rights of a person who records a music video from Spaceshower, encodes it, and then posts it on YouTube... Intelectual property rights have spiraled out of control in a big fear that copiers, rather than mundane artists, programmes & films were hurting sales.

Especially in the US, remember, these are companies who wanted to make it such that digital media had a 'lifetime' and you could only watch or listen to it as many times as you paid for. These are very rich companies, who want to stay very very rich...

Honestly, I would sit through commercials on the internet to watch content that wasn't available to me otherwise--- There is so much opportunity here to make broadcast video a global market--- but the only innovation is happening OUTSIDE the traditional media.

Last edited:
Yeah, lots of the removed stuff where just from TV shows that doesn't have any commercial purpose. I got two removed and one I agree with, since it was a PV, but the second was just a take from a live performance on a show.

It is even good for some shows and companies to have some stuff on Youtube, since that's free publicity and people will bother to watch their entire 30 minutes show rather then keep on searching on Youtube for a 6 minute video clip if their even lucky.

Actually, I think that copyrighting is quite rude, I've saw someone upload the whole movie of "The Promise" on youtube!! Some live concert! Someone may be happy with the copyright, But there are also many people are not happy with it!
Their hardwork has been wasted if everybody support copyright!

I must say that unless it was something you could easily buy in the U.S it hurts the companies none. A person watches a music video of an artist, they become a fan of that artist and maybe even (one day) buy the cd. Now them pulling off a lot of the pop pv's off really didn't hurt me none but the minute they pull the J-Rock vids off yea thats when I will probally want to get mad. But all Youtube has done was lost me because I will just have to go back to using torrents.

This was bound to happen and does quite frequently. I would image that these videos will gradually build up again and then eventually be removed again and so on and so on

This was bound to happen and does quite frequently. I would image that these videos will gradually build up again and then eventually be removed again and so on and so on

It's in mostly in US only! I don't think the people are so friendly here!

It's their loss. Yes, it's copyrighted but that's how you get to know artists and then start to get interested in them. 95% of all people I know found out about Jpop/jrock from the internet by downloading, sharing etc and that led to that they later bought that artists CD, went to their concerts and so on.
Just because they took it off YouTube doesn't mean that people won't find other ways of geting hold of that clip.
Too bad people only think of money to that point where it can actually hurt their business.

YouTube is very popular in Japan, there is even a refined front end, called Qooqle, which gives you better searching options, so Japanese companies probably think of the Japanese market first.

It's questionable if any material on YouTube is hurting sales, more than likely it's helping sales. It will probably take a generation or two before people are (technologically) savy enough in business to fully realise this... As is, only pockets of actual performers realise how the saturation of their material throughout the public is far far more beneifitial than detrimental...

Last edited:
It's their loss. Yes, it's copyrighted but that's how you get to know artists and then start to get interested in them. 95% of all people I know found out about Jpop/jrock from the internet by downloading, sharing etc and that led to that they later bought that artists CD, went to their concerts and so on.
Really ? Even if they can get it free they are still buying as many CDs as before ? Well, some fans do for sure but music sales are down like 20% or more since the beginning of the decade so I can absolutely understand the desire for copyright restrictions, especially for established artists. 😌

I admit I download "Samples" to see if I like a band, If I like them, like really like them I will buy their stuff. But I have to really like them to do so. Because importing CD's is really expensive.

But the music videos on youtube don't hurt nobody. I mean they are called PV Promotional Videos. So it helps promote the band. And they aren't loosing any money if the videos aren't being showed in X country in the first place.

Really ? Even if they can get it free they are still buying as many CDs as before ? Well, some fans do for sure but music sales are down like 20% or more since the beginning of the decade so I can absolutely understand the desire for copyright restrictions, especially for established artists. 😌
Ofcourse not everyone, but most people feel that they want to have the "original" CD or movie or whatever. It feels good to have something like that in you collection but as Nana007 said, importing is expensive. You are right about that records sales have droped. What I mean is that sites like YouTube help artist; If someone recommends a singer/song then you can look it up on the site and get you own opinion about it. Even though you can just downlad it, YouTube makes it more public and makes you feel less like a criminal... I'm sorry, I don't know if that makes any sense. 😌
But since CD's are quite expensive and the artist gets about 10% of the income it's not that surprising that people would rather download then buy. But that doesn't mean that they have stopped buying, it just means that they are more picky about what CD they want to spend their money at.

Japanese shows were so popular in Youtube that some of the Batsu Games with DownTown were among the most watched clips.

It's really sad they removed them :eek:

It's strange to hear that they have been removed. I just watch a couple of Downtown clips just 5 minutes ago. Fear not! People love to watch 'wacky' japanese stuff and so people will keep uploading them.
The machine that is YouTube cannot be stopped!

It was in the news yesterday that the reason they are purging the files is indeed tied to the fact that google bought/is buying Youtube. It is strictly for liability reasons. If they purge any copyright content, then they can not be sued for the content being uploaded.

Yea I saw that how long do you think it will take for everyone to flock to another less restrictive youtube like site.

Back
Top Bottom