What's new

Your favourite Football (soccer) team

Raurtom

Badly Informed Optimist
8 Jan 2009
Tell us what your favourite footy team is! I really love to watch football, and altough I don't play it (because of a nasty injury in the past) I love the sport :)

My favourite team is as you can see on my avi West Ham United fc! It's a great club, I can't exactly say why I like them, perhapse watching Hooligans helped, also it helps that two of my favourite actors are Hammers (Danny Dyer and Ray Whinstone)

It's also reported that Barack Obama is a big West Ham fan ever since he visited London some years ago, how about that huh!

How about you?

United! United! United!!

BARCELONA!!

barca-logo.gif

And Japan loves Barcelona:

182817011_43b816e437.jpg

By the way,

West Ham United won the last match (3-1) against Fulham!
It's 8th on the Premier League. No bad to be a modest team.

I know, it was a great match, next on against Hartlepool, I'll be forever blowing bubbles... :p

I like Premier League, but I haven't got any particularly favourite team.
I was in England when Liverpool won the Champions league against Milan and watching the match inside a pub with some friends was awesome. They all were Liverpool fans!
Moreover some Liverpool's player were Spanish, so they were jostling me!
That was a breathtaken match. Well you Know, Liverpool was losing 3-0 at the end of the first time...
Do you wanna bet (without money) which will win the present edition?
I bet for Barcelona!
We'll see...

Ajax!!! Especially in the years '94 '95 and '96 with players as Litmanen, Kluivert, Davids, Seedorf and the brothers de Boer.

I do hope that Ajax is going to participate in the Champions league again next year... but when they keep selling good players I'm not so sure if it's possible for them to even win the national championship.

Last edited:
I think my name says it all. I've been a supporter since the days of Galy Rineker. Then, years later by coincidence I ended up living in Nagoya.

A very good friend of mine is a Gamba supporter. He's from Sakai-city.

I have no connexion to the team, but I always liked Goodison for some reason.

I'll add that my home team is Whitecaps.

Ah, Vancouver? Peter Beardsley played for Whitecaps as well as Everton. Goodison Park is a great old stadium but sadly the club are looking to leave.

Ah, of course. I knew there had to be a reason (Beardsley) to like Goodison. Actually, it's just a great-looking ground. Everton shared Beardsley (did he go from Everton to Liverpool or the other way round?), but I hope they never share a ground with Liverpool. Is it looking that way or are both clubs looking to build their own grounds, and will they stay as close together as they are now?

Beardsley played in a friendly for Whitecaps a couple of years ago, and he could still put the ball on a player's foot from the opposite corner of the pitch with his eyes closed.

Beardsley played for Liverpool first, but we don't talk about that! He actually played in a pretty ordinary Everton team in the early 1990's but he was a great player so we forgave him his earlier transgression. Did you know he had a trial at Man Utd but the then manager Ron Atkinson didn't rate him so he went out to Vancouver?
The stadium thing is very confused. Everton wanted to build a new stadium out at the docks but the city council wouldn't help at all. Meanwhile the council gave Liverpool permission to build a stadium in Stanley Park, a great old public park which is between both club's stadiums. It isn't known what caused city councillors to vote for such desecration... Everton now plan to build a stadium just outside the city boundary. But the financial reality seems to be putting the breaks on both club's plans. Liverpool's American owners (one of whom owns the Montreal Canadiens) seem to have maxed out their credit cards and the planned building work isn't close to beginning. Everton have to go through a public enquiry before they can get the go-ahead for their stadium. Now the leader of Liverpool city council wants the clubs to share a new stadium, which makes economic sense but nothing else!
Goodison is a beautiful stadium. Most of these new football stadiums all look the same and have no character whatsoever. But the problems began with all-seater stadium legislation. When I went to my first Everton game the crowd was 61,000 but now there is room for just 40,000 seats. The stadium is surrounded by housing so there's no room for expansion. Everton were once known as 'The Bank of England Club' but now we're struggling to keep up financially with the 'Big Four' (Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool) who make huge money from the European 'Champions' League each year. Everton finished 5th last season and lost 1-2 in the FA Cup final to Chelsea.
Did you know that Everton began playing at Anfield, Liverpool's ground? We even won our first championship there in the early 1890's. But then the landlord gave us a massive rent hike and we moved to Goodison. That landlord then formed his own club and called it Liverpool...

Back
Top Bottom