What's new

Young and angry Japan

I definitely agree, Timsan. Just try to tone the name-calling down...

Anyway, Japan has very strict gun laws. I think you must take a training course, and then, everything about your gun is recorded by the government--even down to every single bullet.

I think the statistics are something like....10 gun-related deaths in Japan in one year, to America's 11,000 or something like that. It's just ridiculous.

Timsan:

It is not only the "backwards hicks" and "inner city gangbangers" that have such backwards ideals about guns and gun laws.

Many middle class and rich people supoort the same ideals "Gimme my gun" as those you've mentioned above.

My grandfather is very wealthy, and the people in his [wealthy] neighborhood tote guns everywhere they go save for church and the supermarket.

I personally don't think that guns are America's problem, especially since you look at a state like Canada and see that most of their population totes a gun, yet they barely have murder numbers like America (representative of their population, of course). I believe it has more to do with the American propensity to try to look for a "quick fix" to a solution, i.e. let's just fight and get it over with.

But back to the post:

Don't let fear of "racism" or discrimination deter your from going abroad. I used to live in the Czech Republic, and seriously, it doesn't get any "whiter" than that. As a black girl, I stuck out like an unhammered nail in plywood. It was bad at first, but then you make friends, and people's ignorant comments and rude stares don't seem to matter as much as they did in the beginning. :)

Living in the Czech, I even got chased by some crazy military guys. It was freaky, but my friends were there to help me. All in all, I learned that some folks just aren't able to handle that people of a different skin color or nationality exist and that we aren't just going to go away because they want us to!

:)

I agree with Keeni84. I would say that another example of the American easy fix solutions would be the war on drugs. How long has that thing lasted, and how effective has it been? Anyway, there are those people who own guns and are extremely responsible with them (must of the legal gun owners, most likely). Also, if someone just likes shooting a gun at a range for fun, relaxation, release, etc., what is the harm in that?

that's just messed up no matter how you look at it. you should fight that to the fullest extent possible.

I'm a 5'7 white female. I friggin stood out like a sore thumb, but everyone was nice to me, and if anyone had a problem with me they kept thier thougths to themselves.

no offense, but i seriously doubt you would think he's overreacting if you were beaten up like he was, and then BLAMED FOR IT!!! you had a nice experience, as most visitors to japan do, but can you really tell me you could just brush off getting your butt whooped simply because you're a foreigner? i don't think so.

that story sickens me and it just goes to show how far japan has to go in regards to their treatment of gaijins. don't get me wrong, i love japan. but this stuff just will not fly.

Did this attack take place in a Buddhist temple or a Shinto Shrine? Or in a college cafeteria or on the subway platform?

No! It happened in a club where there are drunk young punks!

A long time ago, my dad and his associates went to Shikoku on a business trip. They ended up going to a bar at night, and one of the associates kind of flirted with a female patron there. Well, one of the local boys didn't like that one bit and a huge bar fight ensued and a bunch of people were arrested, including my dad. Was this racially motivated? I guess . . . since they were all of the same race.

If I went to a club in LA where it might be predominantly Hispanic and some gangbanger saw me hitting on a Latina, I might get my *** kicked because of my race or regardless of my race. Does that make all Hispanics racists?

Does your incident mean all Japanese are racists?

spiritchasa,

Listen, I know that it sucks being in the situation that you were in. But I can say that generally I was left alone and treated with nothing but kindness and respect by everyone I met and talked with while in Fukuoka. I was worried that I would have encountered more problems because the city is smaller than say, Tokyo. But aside from maybe two people giving me attitude while I was there, one whom gave my fiance a dirty look for holding hands with a Gaijin and the other at a speed shop that may have been embarrased because they couldn't understand me clearly and sought to just not bother talking, everything was roses.

I can say that the *** that gave my fiance a dirty look was sternly talked to by me and I even got to emphasise my words with a few well timed taps to my temple while yelling at him. Needless to say, I wasn't sorry I did it, but I also didn't want to fit into the loud American stereotype. But man, he was dissin' my girl.

I actually think the best conversation I had was with two old guys outside of the 7-11 there. They were hilarious, making fun of eachother and just helping me with my Japanese.

Honestly, don't let stories like this dissuade you from visiing a great country with an astounding culture and history with people that are cool as hell. If I had never gone, I'd regret it till I died.

Three best random people I met in Japan...

1. The car mechanic at the dealership across from my fiancee's apartment building fixing a Skyline and with his helping my Japanese and his English, I almost got to drive the car of my dreams until the boss showed up and everyone had to go back to work.

2. Tied between the grade school kids that cheered for me and all wanted to meet me while I was having a smoke at a bus stop and the two old dudes in front of the 7-11.

3. The girl at Narita that wanted to touch my hair because it looked so cool, she thought.

God, I miss Japan.

Ant

Feral-Darkness said:
This is why I like my right to bare arms =) Nothing says don't F with me like a .357 magnum.

I dunno. I think that me being a big bloke that knows how to carry himself and can pull out a reasonable fight if I need to says more than your fire-arm. But hey, whatever makes you feel more secure. You have no right to bare arms anywhere except your own country, so what good does it do you in the bigger picture?

Learn a life skill, like a martial art, instead of learning how to hide behind a chunk of steel and wood. You'll be better off for it.

**edit: And in case you're wondering, yes I can shoot as well, I'm just not going to delude myself into thinking it is a more useful skill than it actually is.

Chipi said:
Well to my ear this sounds a bit odd, that american is thinking not to go to japan because it might be unsafe...for what I hear in the news every day, I think America is _a lot_ more unsafe place... sorry :)

Anyways, you shouldn't think that the whole country is going to beat you up, just because of one case. There are rotten people in all places, and I also think that the way you behave is very important in these things...

America is actually one of the safest countries in the world. Most non-Americans only know about us from what they see on TV. The movies are fantasy, and the news is inflated because, "Bad news sells", and America is all about selling. The cable news networks believe no one will watch, if they show good news.

But there is good news all over the country. People helping people, and not just people they know, but often total strangers. America isn't perfect. I would be the last to say that it is. But we at least try to be better today, than we were yesterday.

how unlucky being attacked for talking to a japanese girl. to be honest i have never heard of such a thing in all my time here...and i have talked to tons of girls in clubs, including in yellow etc. and the same thing goes for other foreigners i know. i always have a blast when doing the club thing in japan. of course the more japanese one can speaks the lower the chance of miscommunication when drunk i suppose.

to topic starter...you were just unlucky and by now way was the behavior of these japanese hooligans indicative of japanese youth in general.

Edit: oops sorry for reviving such an old thread...i hadn't noticed.

kiuyiw said:
lol it sounds rediculous. being attacked because was talking to a J girl.
ehm...could be because J boys are easily to get jealous ??i mean everything start after u talked with J girls..
------------------------------------------------------------------------
**learn to speak and write in english**
------------------------------------------------------------------------

to say agian this happen everywhere, rasisme happen every country, im my country when you are from maroco you have a hard time to come in, even when you where born in this country, australia when you are a backpacker.

japan is one of the most safe countrys in the world isnt?

Feral-Darkness said:
This is why I like my right to bare arms =) Nothing says don't F with me like a .357 magnum.

But honestly next time, eaither just leave or lay the beat down on some of em. As the saying goes, I am not sure how many of them itll take to beat me but I know how many they were gonna use.
and nothing says "oh my god, a bullet through the pelvis hurts a lot more than I thought. Also, I wasn't as cold about killing a guy as I thought I would be." as when the very same right to bear arms is used by the OTHER drunk guy who doesn't want anyone to "F" with him either.

I've heard of several things that are of the same kind.Yeah it's true this kind of thing happens in every country.But in Japan,there seems more.Here in China,a necessary lesson for people who learn Japanese is the behavior manners that must be seriously followed in Japan.
I don't know how this happened.But it did.

I'am very embarassed as japanese but note this. Not all japanese are like thi. Mnay like foreigners and many foreigners are on tv shows and alot on commercials( mostly celebritie like natilite portmant, avrill avigne etc) but iam sorry

I think it all depends on what area you are refering to. I live in Cali and I've noticed it's a whole different world in SoCal then the Bay. When I was a kid I remember thinking that Gunshots and Sirens in the middle of the night were comon place. My Middle School actualy had a hit list floating around and what's more, the students just laughed at it, since everyone just assumed that a person would have to be crazy to walk in with a gun in hand. (It was kinda an unsaid thing, but there were at least 4-6 people in each class that you could tell they were either carying a gun or a weapon of some sort. Heh, we were talking about it one day in class and a friend of mine jokingly said that if it actualy happened, he could immagine a few of his teachers pullin out one. That and his math teacher with his yardstick.)

Where I came from, we just hated everyone equaly. We had our little groups (mostly everyone we played basketball with in the morning waiting for the bus) and I think if that as adults alot of us are very tollerant, but other than that we weren't much different than those japanese people you discribed.

Back
Top Bottom