What's new

Yokozuna Asashoryu Under House Arrest!

What Do You Think Of The Punishment for Asashoryu?

• Too Harsh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too Lenient

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just About Right

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Discriminated Against Because He Is A Foreigner

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Pachipro

JREF Resident Alien
Rest in Peace
19 Jan 2005
It has been reported that Yokozuna Asashoryu was suspended for the remainder of the year, had his pay docked 30% and put under house arrest for lying to sumo officials about an injury and playing soccer in Mongolia.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20070802TDY01002.htm

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20070803TDY19003.htm
His oyakata has also been docked 30% pay!

Strict? What is your opinion? What do you think if a famous soccer player, football player (not including the scumbag Michael Vick), baseball player, etc received the same punishment for such a minor(?) infraction? Is it justified? Will it improve the sport?

Personally I commend the Sumo association for imposing such a harsh penalty on a player(s) who think they are holier than thou and can do no wrong because they are the best in their sport. If the US sports leagues started doing this I believe there would be less trouble than they have now, especially in football. But I don't think it will happen because of the greed associated with these sports in the US in that if a major player is suspended the fans would retaliate. I say screw the fans as the integrity of the sport is more important.

In the US there would be appeals and crying from the player and fans and he would continue to be allowed to play even if he was convicted or bough his way out.

In Japan, at least they are still strict and have rules that must be abided by. I wonder if Asashoru will cry discrimination as he is a foreigner?

The most recent news says Asashoryu is headed for a nervous breakdown because of his house arrest!
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20070806TDY21008.htm

Hello Pachipro!

I wholeheartedly agree with you! But the Sumo Association is also at fault because they've been turning a blind eye to past violations he had committed (stemming from his arrogance and disrespect toward sumo and the discipline required of the sumo wrestlers)--only because he was the only yokozuna in the Association for a long time!

They've only started taking action now that they have a new yokozuna (Hakuho, another Mongolian).

Asashoryu underwent psychiatric analysis today and was diagnosed as having a nervous breakdown (because he is no longer pampered!!).
I say he can go home to Mongolia to recuperate, and I won't be waiting for him to come back to Japan! :eek:

Thank you epigene for pointing that out and I agree with you. I failed to mention his pampering for being the sole Yokozuna in my thread which is a very important point.

epigene said:
I say he can go home to Mongolia to recuperate, and I won't be waiting for him to come back to Japan!
I cannot say that I disagree with you.

Note to Mods: Please delete repetitive "Too Harsh" as I am not given the option of editing the poll. Thank You.

History repeats itself:

Futahaguro Koji

Looks like these things happen when the Sumo Association is in dire need of yokozunas.
Kitao/Futahaguro's violence against the stablemaster and his wife was reportedly much bloodier than is reported in the media. He was well known for his fetish for knives. :eek:

I like Asashoryu as a sumo wrestler in the sense that he wins not by being the biggest, but by being a better wrestler.

Still, when you do something wrong, you should have to face the consequences.

Back
Top Bottom