What's new

WWII Army Hair Cut

gwendy85

~*Proudly Mestiza*~
30 Aug 2005
Was the Japanese Imperial Army strict when it comes to hair cuts? How long was hair supposed to grow esp. for officers of the Kempeitai? I saw in one movie that the officer's hair was quite long (booker style, parted in the middle) but then again, that could've been a historical inaccuracy.

Can anyone correct me on this? Thanks! 👍

Hope you can see it where you live!

Just saw "Letters From Iwo Jima" today and you could get a lot of information to help with your book from the movie I think. Sure hope you can sell your book where members here on JREF can buy it when it's finished, sounds interesting!

Uncle Frank

:)

Just saw "Letters From Iwo Jima" today and you could get a lot of information to help with your book from the movie I think. Sure hope you can sell your book where members here on JREF can buy it when it's finished, sounds interesting!
Uncle Frank
:)

Yeah, I hope so 😊 I have an estimated completion date of March-April 2007 and after that, I have to go through editing. Hopefully, I'll find a nice agent willing to take me on. Also, I'd like to solicit some readers (Japanese or not, but preferably one who has a handle on the culture and language) to be my beta reader.

If you're interested, Uncle Frank, I can send you a few of the starting chapters 😌

I believe that almost everyone at military or police at that time got their hair cropped very short.
サービス終了のお知らせ

Damn! Doesn't work for my character! Takes away from his good looks, but this Kempeitai officer character is somewhat rebellious. He keeps his hair long, brushes it back with mousse and has a beard and mustache (cleanly trimmed)

I believe that almost everyone at military or police at that time got their hair cropped very short.
サービス終了のお知らせ

Not in Germany. The most terrible times of haircut was the 1970's where the young men didn't need to cut their superlong haircut (some even looked like Raster locks from Jamaica!)
It looked terrible and those young men looked like stinky mercenaries and not soldiers of a Nation.

When I was in the German Army, I already had short haircut (3-4cm on the top and 0.3-0.5cm at the sides and rear).
The haircut in the German Army today is short but not that short like in most units of the US forces.

Damn! Doesn't work for my character! Takes away from his good looks, but this Kempeitai officer character is somewhat rebellious. He keeps his hair long, brushes it back with mousse and has a beard and mustache (cleanly trimmed)

😊
There is not a military police officer of such a hair style.
A photograph of a Japanese military officer
There is a photograph of an executive officer of the military police, too.

http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/rikugunshou/

😊
There is not a military police officer of such a hair style.
A photograph of a Japanese military officer
There is a photograph of an executive officer of the military police, too.
http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/rikugunshou/

Thanks Hiroyuki :)

But damn, they have cropped hair?:eek: Ugh. :eek: The hair won't do well for my character. Were they really so strict with hair? I planned on having my character like this:

tdk-1.jpg

Sorry for the terrible drawing. 😲 :mad: I'm limited to using a faulty mouse and the MSPaint program though I'm an artist. :nihonjin:

Either way, this is fiction so I suppose I can do what I can. LOL 🧑‍🎤 🕺 :sing:

Thanks 🙂 😇

Never get away with it?

As strick as discipline was in the Japanese military back then, I don't believe anyone would be allowed to be that different. Maybe in heavy combat, they could be a little lax on shaves and haircuts. The pictures on Hiroyuki's site he provided does show hairy upper lips were popular.Even in the US military back then, you could never get away with long hair. The favorite saying seemed to be "GET A HAIRCUT!" when I was in.

Uncle Frank

As strick as discipline was in the Japanese military back then, I don't believe anyone would be allowed to be that different. Maybe in heavy combat, they could be a little lax on shaves and haircuts. The pictures on Hiroyuki's site he provided does show hairy upper lips were popular.Even in the US military back then, you could never get away with long hair. The favorite saying seemed to be "GET A HAIRCUT!" when I was in.
Uncle Frank

Yeah, I saw those mustaches ☝ man, they let the guys get away with that but not the hair? Whoa. :eek:

Thanks for the heads up 🙂

Back
Top Bottom