What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Writing paper on Anime; need help!

catharsix

後輩
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new around here. I am working on a rather important paper concerning Anime (it will determine my acceptance or denial to grad school) I am having a hard time tracking down more source material to work with, as I'm no longer a full-time student, but do have a full-time job. I've come here to look for assistance from anyone familiar with the scholarly side of Anime discourse.

The primary argument I am trying to make in this paper is to compare a crisis in Japanese aesthetics with an projected crisis that the genesis of true Artificial Intelligence would create. Here's the basic case: Traditional modes of Japanese representation have been placed on unsteady ground by a society no longer grounded in native aesthetics. Anime makes an end run around this problem by locating its world outside of any strictly real world. The traditional Japanese aesthetic framework has been dismantled, (to a greater or lesser extent) by the rapid modernization that began in the Meji era. I am comparing this with the possibility that artificial intelligence could place the human race as a whole in a similar crisis; that the creation of artificial life could threaten to dismantle the framework of our conception of human consciousness.

this paper draws heavily on an article written by Sato Kenji for Kyoto Journal (URL for article below)

Kyoto Journal | Insights From Asia

on the race/native aesthetics side of the discussion. Shrow/Oshii's Ghost In The Shell plays a big part on the A.I./Identity side of the coin. I am looking for more source material for this paper though, as I am expanding it from a brief paper (6 pages) to a much longer one. (15 or so pages) I would be greatly indebted to for anyone out there with any idea of where to look, other good material to draw on, or anyone to whom they could refer me to.

Much thanks.

-Ben

babar-san

Sempai
Reaction score
one word, appleseed. read it. it is shirows life work and revolves around this topic, long before he began work on gits. it also deals more heavily on the moral issues of ai, its co-existence with the human race, and the impact it has on us. while it is just a manga, it is probably the most realistic look at near furure cybernetics and ai. there is even a council in the book that plays a role like todays congress, but based soley on the morality of genom mapping, cybernetics and the problems created by co-existence.

catharsix

後輩
Reaction score
cross-posting

i posted this in 2 forums because i thought it was relevant to both, and that there might be certain people with expertise that could help who might frequent one forum but not the other.

Top Bottom