What's new

Would you sleep in futon and on tatami in your own country?

Mamoru-kun

Wanderer
25 Aug 2005
I personnaly wouldn't, for two reasons:
1) being forced to tidy up the futon each morning, and to set it up each night;
2) sleeping on the floor is far to close to our "kind" friends the spiders ;-)

I have never slept on a proper Japanese futon. 😌
But, I always thought the raised "bed" had utilitarian function; it is cooler in summer with circulating air, and in winter it stops the cold from striking up through the ground. Plus, as you mentioned, the insect/creature thing...

Although, I have done a lot of sleeping on floors and actually I find them more comfortable than beds. So I have a compromise - an extremely hard bed. :)

Mamoru-kun said:

Maybe that is why they make the futon on frame now. Anyhow, quite a few "modern" Japanese sleep in a bed nowadays. I even know some that have never slept on a futon.

My wife and I currently sleep on futons. I have had back problems for years and the firm feeling of the futons has greatly helped my back pain. The best part is that they can be folded up and put away and the room becomes extra play space for our kids during the day. I will never go back to sleeping on a regular bed (although I wouldnt be opposed to putting the futons on a frame).

Mamoru-kun said:
If they weren't that expensive I would yes.Some futon don't have to be put away and are on a raised frame.

Do you think spiders or any other insects can't get to you when you're in your high bed ? :p they can climb walls, etc. the last time I checked ;-)

RockLee said:
Do you think spiders or any other insects can't get to you when you're in your high bed ? :p they can climb walls, etc.
Sure they do, but at least when you're sleeping in an usual bed, they -have- to climb one of the four small bed's feet to reach you. Sleeping on the ground, you are just on their way, so you have somehow more chance to disturb their path ;-)

Mamoru-kun said:
Sure they do, but at least when you're sleeping in an usual bed, they -have- to climb one of the four small bed's feet to reach you. Sleeping on the ground, you are just on their way, so you have somehow more chance to disturb their path ;-)
These babies can get to you in a split second ! :D No way you can outrun them 😊

RockLee said:
These babies can get to you in a split second ! :D No way you can outrun them 😊
...stop scaring me! :mad: 😲 I prefer those small things outside than inside (even if I never kill them when I find one threatening me in a room)...

But well, if I had to choose while sleeping in a futon, I would prefer to meet spiders than...gejigeji, for the people who know ;-)

We have the thinnest hand me down futons, my back is destroyed now... That said, beds are fantastic. for now though, it's still the futon. it smells of mold too... eww...

Mamoru-kun said:

If it's your house, you can do what the heck you want. You don't *have* to put it away every day. I rarely do. Anyway, it takes about 10 seconds to set up - throw it on the floor, throw a duvet and a pillow on it, and you're done.

Silverpoint said:
If it's your house, you can do what the heck you want. You don't *have* to put it away every day. I rarely do. Anyway, it takes about 10 seconds to set up - throw it on the floor, throw a duvet and a pillow on it, and you're done.

LOL... thats true...

I rather sit on the floor versus a couch, so I guess I wouldn't mind sleeping on the floor on a futon... but nothing can beat my soft, comfortable, oh-so-nice bed that I sleep in everynight *haha 😌

not to worry you to much, but even with a raised bed you are not safe from our many legged friends. They reckon, on average, that people swallow about 6 spiders and even more insects when they are asleep during their life. I suppose it is fine if you live in a country where the creepy crawlies are small, but imagine in some countries they are bigger. You could wake up feeling full 😲
Not too many nightmares now, Mamoru-kun (I'm a rotten swine, I know) :)

Silverpoint said:
Well, agreed, but in my case, the problem is that it's not -my- house, but -our- house, if you see the difference ;-)

Mycernius said:
Not too many nightmares now, Mamoru-kun (I'm a rotten swine, I know) :)
You're welcome ;-) As long as I don't notice, there is no problem eating them...

I wouldnt know, ive never slept in a futon.

But probably not anyway, my beds suitable enough for the task of sleeping and i like my sleeping space to have a bit more perminance then a futon you tify away every morning.

Personally I prefer to sleep in futon when in Japan and I do whenever I visit. I will seek out an inn or hotel that has futon.

When I lived there I had a double futon and did not mind putting it away during the day as it was simply a matter of folding it up and placing it in the closet. As I lived alone, I often just left it out as I would be returning later that day and no one would be visiting.

A few of years ago I visited Japan and the in-laws house alone as my wife could not get the time off of work and the air fare was just too cheap to let go. We usually sleep in my wifes room that she she slept in while a child. She has a bed in there and she usually sleeps in it while I sleep in the futon on the floor as I prefer it.

Well, when I went alone that time there were no futon on the floor when it was time for bed. I asked my mother-in-law about it and she thought I had preferred the bed. I said, "No way, mama. I prefer futon!" She was surprised at this, laughed and said, "henna gaijin", strange foreigner, and gladly placed the futon out for me. After all these years she never knew it, my wife never told her, and all the while she thought I was sleeping in the bed while her daughter slept in the futon! Needless to say we became quite close that week I went alone as we talked more than we ever did when I went together with my wife.

Back
Top Bottom