What's new

Worried about language problem...

beverlynick

後輩
5 Sep 2009
I only have basic japanese language skills but I'm thinking of applying to study in Japan. Does it mean I will be doing my assignments and thesis in Japanese as well? I'm sorry if my question sounds silly... but the thought of writing a 40,000++ word thesis in japanese for a foreigner like me (I'm Singaporean) seems sooo daunting....?! Is it possible?

Umm... I'm pretty sure that is entirely dependent upon which school and what program you are enrolled in. I don't think anybody can answer this for you.

To put it simply: no.
If you're going for a study field at a Japanese university that only teaches in Japanese, it's going to be impossible to understand anything of the classes if you only know the basics of Japanese.
There are universitys that have courses in english availlable, altho I don't know if you still need to write Japanese stuff apart from learning.

contrary to what newby(haha nice name) said, I know a few foreigners who have passed the master course but surprisingly know very little(or no) japanese. I dont know the details, i never asked them. It really depends on you univ, department, prof, and major. as my professor said, "you dont need japanese" >< .

There are actually a decent number of English programs, so yes it is possible. However, you have to usually show you have a good level of English for them via TOEFL or the GRE. Don't expect anything to be easy though... you WILL still need Japanese.

thanks for replying. I will think carefully before I apply. Hee I'm still tempted to try out living in japan. :)

Back
Top Bottom