What's new

working in japan

Originally posted by grza
For some reason Japanese people usually laugh when I tell them I lived in Ibaraki when I first came here....don't let that put you off though.

Laugh? why do they laugh?
I'm actually from Wales so am used to abit of abuse.

Okay, more questions. It is now looking very likley that we will be living in Mito next year, I need to make some enquiries about somewhere to live. Are there agencies in Japan who will find accomodation? Does anybody know any in the Mito area (long shot I know)?

Now, is it common to get fully furnished flats out in Japan, or should we be preparing to ship stuff from here?

Other questions
Why is this guy flicking the "V"s at everyone??👏
and this guy is making an even worse sign!👍

Thanks for the help

@and this guy is making an even worse sign!
I think it is a "thumbs up", and even if it isn't, flipping the bird in Japan means something totally different than elsewhere.

I don't remember what though

The "V" sign means peace or victory.
It's a typical pose for taking pictures too. It doesn't have much of a meaning that waving your hand as in saying "hi" or "bye"

It's a thumbs up for sure ... no thumb in a fist poster so deduction is just that. "good"

@ the bird
hmmm, if it's not the bird ... you rotate it but then it becomes a sexual gesture.
If gaijin shows it too a Japanese, the Japanese fella will probably understand pretty quickly. Interesting is that I haven't seen too many Japanese use it.

Although, there was a show where they would have a Japanese guy run up to a gaijin and poke the bird at him. Lot's of the gaijin thought the Japanese guy was a freak but then "F_ck you, F_ck you" was repeated enough that the Japanese guy got clobbered a few times.

lololo ....

umm, yeah, it can get really out rageous with all the TV talent comedians trying to make a name for themselves.

Children please don't do this.

Flip your bicycle upside down and spin the pedals reallllly fast so the rear tire is spinning really fast. Drop your pants and try to stop the tire with your buddocks. Lol ... I've heard of rug burns, tire marks and what not ... but that was just too funny.

Mito Accomodation

Okay, I guess this is for grza as he has lived in Mito. The end of the year is approaching, I need somewhere to live.
My company is going to sort out accomadation but I want to make sure its not in some slum.
Can you recommend any particular areas or any area to be wary of?

Slums? Not really. Although if you go to the realtor alone they'll show you all the places that no Japanese would normally live in.

You'll need to set yourself up with a rock solid guarantor. OR NO house. Some places will allow friends and what not but ... you'll be living in run down shacks.

Prepare up to 6 months of deposit. Bribe money for the realtor. And about $300 for housing insurance. Sapporo is 2 months for deposit and 1 month for the payoff (introduction fee) to the realtor. Osaka was like 6 the last time I saw. This type of cash isn't normally negotiable since the landlord and realtor are doing you FAVORS by letting you live there.

Also, contracts normally run 1-2 years. (Sapporo is 2 years in general) IF you leave during the contract you LOOSE the deposit automatically for breaking the contract.

Once you move DON'T expect your deposit to come back since it's under $1,000. landlords run off with the money since small claims court basically would be a higher risk. THOUGH this works in your benefit too if you damage the room for under $1,000 and your guarantor is a Yakuza or isn't to be found the landloard will write off the lose.

So, you got lot's more to worry than being in a slum.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom