What's new

Working at a suit/tux shop in Tokyo, Japan?

Suzanne Starr

Registered
2 Jun 2014
Does anyone have experience in the suit/tux industry in Tokyo or have frequented a suit/tux shop in Tokyo (or in Japan generally)? Eventually I'd like to move to Japan within the next 2 years and I currently work at Men's Wearhouse.

So, how different is it working at a suit/tux store in Japan than it is in the US?

Does anyone have experience in the suit/tux industry in Tokyo or have frequented a suit/tux shop in Tokyo (or in Japan generally)? Eventually I'd like to move to Japan within the next 2 years and I currently work at Men's Wearhouse.

So, how different is it working at a suit/tux store in Japan than it is in the US?

For starters, you'll need Japanese language skills and a visa that allows you to work here. For what type of visa are you eligible?

For starters, you'll need Japanese language skills and a visa that allows you to work here. For what type of visa are you eligible?

Yes I know. c:
Not sure yet, but probably long term resident. I am of Japanese descent. (grandmother) As for level, I am intermediate in conversational Japanese and plan to study intensively before moving. (have taken 2 semesters of Japanese so far and am soon going to self study quite a bit)

Just looking around a bit, while you are eligible to apply for a visa it will most likely be granted for either a one or three year period (of course, renewals are possible and you could later try for permanent resident status).

You have a few paperwork hurdles to jump in order to prove your status. The documents are listed under #2 in the link.

Of course, for current and authoritative information, check the actual official Immigration website.

The great thing about your visa status would be that there are practically no restrictions on the type of work you can try to get.

Just looking around a bit, while you are eligible to apply for a visa it will most likely be granted for either a one or three year period (of course, renewals are possible and you could later try for permanent resident status).

You have a few paperwork hurdles to jump in order to prove your status. The documents are listed under #2 in the link.

Of course, for current and authoritative information, check the actual official Immigration website.

The great thing about your visa status would be that there are practically no restrictions on the type of work you can try to get.

That is quite useful, thank you.
Would you have any ideas of where I can find excerpts on the JP suit/mens' clothing industry by any chance?
I'm searching quite a bit right now and not very much information has popped up.

I believe the bulk of suits are sold by a few major chains such as Aoki and Aoyama.

What position do you envision yourself filling in the industry?

Currently I'm a CSA, but in a year I may be promoted to Ops Manager or Asst. Ops Manager.
When I move my experience will be around 3 years in the industry.
My problem is that Japanese suits are a bit different from US American and English ones and the "fits" are different.
And that any guides I find are tidbits and pieces of tutorials on Youtube. Of course the standards are different as well. If I end up at a high end place it seems I might have to wear a suit myself.
It's difficult to grasp anything because it's all in pieces and information that I might find may not apply to every store in a whole. @.@ I might just have to end up throwing myself into it.

To say you are "intermediate" level Japanese means nothing. What level test have you passed? How well can you read & write, not just speak? You're going to have to handle quite a bit of documentation and training, as well as describe things to customers (and usually in the highest level of politeness).

Unless you actually look very Asian, it might be hard to get hired for such a customer-oriented job here. I can't imagine many customers would feel comfortable communicating with you.

My problem is that Japanese suits are a bit different from US American and English ones and the "fits" are different.
I wouldn't consider this a serious problem in actually landing the job! Focus on learning more of the language and figuring out how to get that visa. In fact, confirm that you are eligible at all.

As long as Grandma was in fact a Japanese citizen (and she can dig up all the documentation), she's eligible to apply for a 定住者 visa.

I think most jobs would be minimum wage part-time clerking in one of the big off-the-rack stores, but I don't actually know anything about suits or the work environment in the industry.

A couple semesters of college Japanese is intermediate in the sense that it is between nothing at all and enough to actually be of any real world use. Still, it's something to build on.

I like to see other foreigners come here and break outside the "traditional" gaijin employment sectors, so I wish her all the success in the world pulling this off. I doubt it will be what she is expecting it to be, but she'll be off to a start and in a better position to later work herself into a situation more in line with what she's expecting.

いっらしゃいませ.

Get used to saying it. A lot. It's vital that you make the せ last for at least 15 seconds as well. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom