What's new

work work work

aussie

後輩
6 Jan 2005
I am living in Australia and I applied for a position with Nova. I was unsuccessful in getting a job. I wouldn't consider my English to be bad but I made a couple of mistakes and ran out of time in the English test. This obviously didn't leave a good impression. Was thinking of going to Japan and looking for work anyway. Is Nova's recruitment process a lot more lenient than most of the other schools?
Do I need to have good English skills to find work with other companies if I go to Japan? I could also try and get work with Nova in Japan if I'm not on their data base.
I finished high school but I didn't go to Uni so pen on paper wouldn't be as impressive as it would if I had been regularly doing it. This also leaves me with only part time work because I can only get a working holiday visa.
I have a Japanese girlfriend for the language barrier/accommodation aspect. What do you think of my chances?

I have no idea, really. But I would just like to point out that your employment choices are not limited to English teaching.

aussie said:
Was thinking of going to Japan and looking for work anyway. Is Nova's recruitment process a lot more lenient than most of the other schools?
I would have to answer that in the affirmative. Especially since I know of no other English school that employs non-university graduates.

You see it's not so much the academic ability as it is the fact that the government makes it almost impossible for employers to secure a valid work permit for non-graduate staff. You don't need the degree to get a job, but the employer needs you to have a degree in order to offer you a job.

I know the working holiday visa makes teaching without a degree possible - and this is a good time of the year to be looking for a short-term contract (lots of staff changes).

Good luck anyway. (Spouses don't need squat BTW)

I hate to say it, but unless you've got 10 years professional work experience (or can somehow prove that you do) then getting a work visa is going to take an act of God. I wouldn't bother w/ a fake diploma from uni either, as they require the ACTUAL document when verifying.

GaijinPunch said:
I hate to say it, but unless you've got 10 years professional work experience (or can somehow prove that you do) then getting a work visa is going to take an act of God. I wouldn't bother w/ a fake diploma from uni either, as they require the ACTUAL document when verifying.

Because I'm from Australia I can get a working holiday visa. This allows me to do as much work as I want as long as I'm not on a salary. I would have thought that alot of conversational schools would have been looking for people to do part time work because alot of people want to get taught after work hours.

Wouldn't there be other schools in Japan that would offer me part time work considering I've finished high school and done a diploma and considering that I'll be living in Japan at the time?
What about when you step away from the major companies and start tying out at the smaller ones?

theres lots of other threads about this question on the forum. *points at the search button*

but a basic rundown of what they say is. if youre there in japan you may find a small school to hire you but that may require japanese skills, or you could just get lucky, very lucky. also depends on who you know. since you have the holiday visa your options arent limited to teaching english you could tend bar or sweep the streets or whatever. nothing is guaranteed so if you feel you can take the risk of going to japan and then not being able to get a job go for it otherwise stay at home and save your dollars for another day.

Yeah -- sorry about that. Forgot you were an Aussie. Yeah, you're golden on the working holiday visa.... but you have to get it FIRST before going to Japan. You can upgrade from tourist to working if you meet the criteria, but cannot get a working holiday outside of your home country.

WHV easy it find work.

I'm Canadian but I was on a WHV in Japan and there are WHV offices in Tokyo, Osaka and Fukuoka that will help you find teaching, office, restaurant or hotel work. I know lots of people with a WHV and no degree that secured decent teaching jobs with only a WHV so go for it! Below is the WHV office website in Japan click below to find more info.

http://www.jawhm.or.jp/

Back
Top Bottom