What's new

Work Visa Dilemmas

Fleur

Registered
11 Nov 2014
Hey everyone, so I'm a bit confused about the visa process. I have been offered a teaching position with Nova and they want me to send off the required documents as they are going to sponsor my visa. However, I have an interview coming up with Interac, and possibly some other companies. I know that it can be quite a lengthy process from the interview to finding out whether or not you've been successful. So, I was wondering, can I send off all the required paperwork to Nova, gain a visa, but then accept another job if I'm successful? afaik the Interac visa is an instructor one, and Nova's is a humanities one.

Fleur

So, you want your cake and eat it, too? Look, you either make a commitment to NOVA, or you don't. It's pretty unprofessional to get hired by them and have them go through all the motions here while you are snug at home, only to jerk the rug out from under them. You set a bad example for other foreigners, and in the process that goes a long way to creating even more difficult times here when employers write extensive legalese into their contracts just to cover this sort of shenanigan.

Keep the visa process going with NOVA, and if you change your mind, you'll have to start the whole visa application all over again with Interac. If you get the visa with NOVA before Interac says come on down, but you want to change horses midstream, you can do that, but that would mean quitting NOVA almost immediately after beginning to work for them. That would piss them off and really upset the students you just got to know...all for your own comfort level. Yeah, legally you can quit (after a month's notice or so), but they will probably make your life hell during that time just for spite.

Doesn't matter that NOVA is an eikaiwa and Interac is a lousy dispatch company for ALTs. Visa is the same type (humanities).

This is not entirely the case. I was happy enough to be accepted by Nova, however, my partner was unsuccessful with their application. We've been together enough years that we don't really want to live long distance any more and we're both through to the next stage of the Interac process. I've put off sending my Nova paperwork at this point (although I am still waiting for a couple of things needed to send it off anyway). I definitely do not want to be in the position where I start a job and have to resign immediately, and I would not let it get to that point.

If I did not hear from Interac by the time I was due to start Nova (I haven't been informed when this would be), I would drop out of that recruitment process and would simply stick with Nova. I just wanted to know whether it was actually okay to be sending off for more than one visa application, I wouldn't let it get to the point I would be letting down staff and students. Although I have heard that you can just be dropped during the training process with Nova.

If you decide to take a position with Interac instead, they will not be able to submit a visa application until the one currently being processed for Nova is withdrawn. You will have to start the whole process again which will take 2 or 3 months.
If you don't want to work for NOVA then contact NOVA and withdraw ASAP. Don't mess them about - you may want to work there in the future. Immigration won't be too happy with you either.

Back
Top Bottom