What's new

Woot! *Level Up*

Iron Chef

Villain
Rest in Peace
26 Feb 2003
Ok, I don't normally do this (sharing personal info in a public forum) but I just had to toot my own horn this one time...

Met with me Academic Advisor yesterday and after going over my graduation audit record it looks like it's official... I am gonna graduate in time for Commencement Dec. 6th! Woohoo! It's been a grind the past two years but I will finally have my Master's in Public Administration, not to mention graduating with Honors (3.76 cumulative). All that being said, I just wanted to let everyone know that I have a very tempting offer atm to teach in China at Guangxi Medical University.

The dilemma I face is that I know I could probably return to Japan with relatively low downtime (couple months to get my spoken Japanese back up to snuff). It's been several years since I had a chance to go back for any length of time and I do so dearly love that place like no other. And with my prior experiences abroad I would have little to no difficulty readjusting and acclimating myself in Japan.

Yet... China is a potentially unexplored chapter in my life just waiting to be discovered. As much as I love Japan, I know that I would be remiss if I did not give myself the opportunity to give China a chance and see for myself what it has to offer. China is as different from Japan as Japan is from the U.S though, and I know that my first year there would be difficult getting acclimated to the culture and my new surroundings. On the plus side though, learning Chinese would definitely be an asset that compliments my Japanese well in the long run.

So... I now have to come to a decision in the next few weeks as I entertain offers from both sides about which direction I should take over the course of the next couple years. Anyways, I just wanted to share with my fellow J-Ref friends my enthusiasm and excitement at the prospect of graduation and working abroad (yet again). Thanks for listening and btw if anyone has a line on a good job lead in Japan, send me a PM with the contact info and I will be happy to forward my resume.

-G

WOW !!!!

That is a teriffic accomplishment !! Now you know in this forum the vote will probably be -Skip China!- but I say go with your heart and gut feelings. At least China is somewhat stable and quiet these days compared to years past.
Congrats Again !!!

Frank

I don't really know much about China, but I say, go for it. :) It seems like you got good experience in getting stuff down like this without a hitch. Maybe take the trip to Japan then head over to China. And if it doesn't work out, you can always quit. :D

Congratulations!
China is also an exciting country with a beautiful culture, I'm sure it would be a great experience. (difficult language though!!!)

Congratulations again on finally getting the rewards from working so hard! You must be so excited ;)

congratulations gus. in regards to working in china, i would definatly do it if i had the chance. but there are some things you have to watch out for.
1. if for some reason you have to leave your job. try to do it on the best terms possible, since your employer will have to sign a release from work form. without it, in the eyes of the government, you still work for them, so it will greatly hinder you getting a job elsewhere.
2. if they are going to provide housing be sure to check all the details. some places only have hot water in the morning and around 8-9pm, theres some other things as well.
3. check out your contract as well, making sure they have to provide you with decent housing/working environment etc. make it as specific as possible.
4. have fun.

Many thanks! Good points Jeisan but rest assured I have every intention of working out all the details before committing myself either way.
:)

Last edited:
L33T!!!! Welcome to the club Iron, Its a great feeling when all the work gets paid off and you can look back at what you have accomplished.

congrats!

Chinese is a very difficult language to learn,even though Chinese is my native language,I feel that learning Chinese is much more difficult than learning English

Chinese food is very difficult to learn and cook,but very tasty,
go there and taste the real Chinese food,
not like the Chinese food you get in North America

lots of cool things in Chinese culture,you should check them out!!

Back
Top Bottom