What's new

Windows Japanese Input Editor

PrototypeModel

Sudden Bursts of Awsome
23 Mar 2008
Recently I have been testing out The language input editor for Windows Vista, as part of my language learning techiniques, mostly to try to get a feel for the way the language looks. I have come to the conclusions that it creates characters based on typing them in romanji. I was wondering if there was any reliable way to tell if my computer is just spouting out jibberish, or if I am doing it correctly.

Yeah works on romaji input. If you press spacebar after each word it will give you a drop down list of all the possibilities it thinks you might mean if it doesn't get it right first time. I'm not sure which romaji system it is based on but it's probably Hepburn.

it actually supports different romanization conventions (eg. you can type "chi" or "ti" and both will result in ち).

As for whether you're typing nonsense or not, the best way to double check is to know what you are typing.

The situation is like this. I am sure what I am typing is correct, but up until now I really had noone to tel me otherwise. Kinda like "its correct until proven wrong" sort of deal but not what I am intending.

Do you mean grammatically, or just vocabulary? If it's the latter, consult a dictionary, but there are limits to that method.

Having no one to consult with makes self-study difficult. You can't truly learn a language all by yourself.

The right place !!

And hopefully the great & good people of JREF can all help new members with their language skills!

Uncle Frank

👍 🙂 :)

Okay now that I am on my laptop I can finally show what I am talking about rather than just confusing people.

Here is an exampleツ:

これわ なにごです か?

I think it is right, but have no one to tell me otherwise.

That's weird. every time I type "wa" I get "わ" and "は" doesn't even show up in the drop down menu.

Okay, I think I am starting to get it now. So my statement, "What language is this?" would be "Kore-wa nanigo-desu ka?" in spoken language but written as "これは なにがです か?" where "ha" is pronounced "wa"?

Alright, I just found a box from something I bought a little while ago. I can see that there is in fact no spacing whatsoever. But I do see punctuations. I heard the punctuation was actually adapted because of Western influence.

Yup that's it. Some of them, for しゅ for example, I find in Vista typing "shu" does not work, I have to type "syu". In XP for some reason, it works with both. Aging software rules -_-'

The deeper I get the more complicated it seems. I guess that's what learning is all about right?

Okay, I think I am starting to get it now. So my statement, "What language is this?" would be "Kore-wa nanigo-desu ka?" in spoken language but written as "これは なにがです か?" where "ha" is pronounced "wa"?
That's fine for the particle, but you mistyped "nanigo" as "naniga"

That's fine for the particle, but you mistyped "nanigo" as "naniga"

Doh! >.< At least that's one thing I can attribute to a simple misspell and not a lack of knowledge. Still, I guess now I just have to familiarize myself with the exceptions in that are found in the written language when compared to the spoken language.

Other than the は and を particles, and the ん character (which can be pronounced several different ways depending on the context, do a forum search for "moraic nasal"), kana is pretty straightforward. Kanji can be much more confusing and there are many special readings and exceptions.

I've already been preparing to take on Kanji. Right now I know the elements which is probably a start.

As for the difference between the pronunciation and the notation,

particle へ

pronunciation: e
notation: へ

and some long vowels...

pronunciation: ô
notation: おおい(多い), おうい(王位), オー

pronunciation: ê
notation: えいご(英語), エー

pronunciation: kâ
notation: かあさん(母さん), カーテン....

じ・ぢ