What's new

Windows 7 (E) vs Vista Basic (J)

Dogen Z

aka YOSUQUE
23 Apr 2007
I've been trying out Windows 7 (Ultimate) 64-bit English version for the past few days and can say w/o hesitation that it is so much better than Vista (Basic) 32-bit Japanese version. Duh. It's cleaner and quicker (and English is easier to read 😌). The tool bars where you can paste things you're working on is also a good improvement. I know I'm gonna be sad if it's not commercially available by the time the trial period ends (Aug 1st).

To make this post a little more on-topic and Japanese oriented, I had to upgrade my computer for Windows 7, which was a cheap emergency acquisition after killing my laptop with a glass of wine. So I paid a quick visit to Akihabara, not stopping to take any flyers from the girls in maid costumes, and made judicious purchases at Dospara, T-Zone, and Sofmap. For less than 10 K yen, I bought an ATI graphics card, an 160 GB Seagate internal hard drive, and 1 GB RAM.

Now I have a pretty good dual boot system that can play most games, although I don't paly games (tohoho). World of Warcraft that came with the graphic card software looks pretty interesting, though.

I have given up on Windows since 2001 when I switched to Mac. I've been using the Windows machines at work; but, I have not bought a Windows units (except for the Fujitsu Tablet PC) since then.
I hope Windows 7 is going to leapfrog XP. If it is just going to be a little better than XP, that won't cut it. If MS messes up with 7 like they did with XP, Mac or Open Source based OS will gain more force in the market.

Everything is better than Vista ! Congratulations !👍

Thanks. :) Actually, Vista with SP1 works well if you have a fairly new pc (e.g., with Core2 Duo, 2 GB Ram, and a graphics accelerator), especially with a wide screen monitor. However, you have to load drivers individually. Those drivers are already included in Windows 7.

Tokoro de, a Japanese-English dual boot system is pretty nice, and it's easy to set up. Just partition your hard drive (or add another hard drive) and install the newer version of Windows on it. The boot manager will automatically set up the dual boot. Then simply select which you want to use during the boot up screen.

The Mac OS might be better from an engineering perspective but I can't tell the difference. A PC is cheaper (remember-reduce your burn rate) and I don't like the Mac keyboard.

Thanks. :) Actually, Vista with SP1 works well if you have a fairly new pc (e.g., with Core2 Duo, 2 GB Ram, and a graphics accelerator), especially with a wide screen monitor. However, you have to load drivers individually. Those drivers are already included in Windows 7.
I went with Windows Vista last year when I had to upgrade my PC (motherboard not able to handle memory over 1GB). Vista installation was no problem. But, dual boot with my old Windows XP was a messy thing, with the XP unable to handle Vista drivers. I had to consult the shop that sold the PC to me. 😌

Tokoro de, a Japanese-English dual boot system is pretty nice, and it's easy to set up. Just partition your hard drive (or add another hard drive) and install the newer version of Windows on it. The boot manager will automatically set up the dual boot. Then simply select which you want to use during the boot up screen.
Vista Ultimate has multilingual capability, making you able to create user accounts in various languages, including English and Japanese. You don't have to dual-boot for that, just switch between users. Since Windows 7 beta is an Ultimate version, I think it has the same capability?

The Mac OS might be better from an engineering perspective but I can't tell the difference. A PC is cheaper (remember-reduce your burn rate) and I don't like the Mac keyboard.
Mac OS used to be great and still is in design, but I agree with you that the prices are too high not only for the hardware but also for the software (some in the range of 100,000 to 1,000,000 yen). My kids are captive Mac users only because of the software they need. They say they'd switch to Windows if the software becomes available (and cheaper) in the platform.

[Vista Ultimate has multilingual capability, making you able to create user accounts in various languages, including English and Japanese. You don't have to dual-boot for that, just switch between users. Since Windows 7 beta is an Ultimate version, I think it has the same capability?]

I'm not sure if it does. I checked MS support site and it doesn't mention a MUI pack for Windows 7. Maybe because it's still beta? Anyway, I really didn't need a dual boot system, I was just indulging my inner geekiness to tinker with my computer. (It was fun being an otaku in Akihabara--I thought I might accidentally meeting Nakatani Miki 😊)

To do a dual boot with Windows, you need to install Vista AFTER installing XP. If you do it the other way around, the boot manager 'breaks'.

I'm currently on the RC one which lasts (correct me if I'm wrong) until sometime in 2010.
I liked Vista, but 7 is much much better. I find it easier to get work done, and the new toolbar is a great improvement on the intuitiveness of the OS.

I like what has been done with the sound management (each process is separated), and I also like how you can now remove features you don't use (like media player, IE, etc...).

I might actually buy a copy when it comes out :)

Win 7 Release Candidate

Windows 7 release candidate is now available to the public. Anyone can download it without charge from the Microsoft Website. It comes in 32 and 64 bit versions and is available in English, Japanese, and several other languages. You should read the warnings & advice before downloading it.

Since this is the 1st day its available to the public, it's taking a while to download--it should be faster in a few days.

Windows 7 release candidate is now available to the public. Anyone can download it without charge from the Microsoft Website. It comes in 32 and 64 bit versions and is available in English, Japanese, and several other languages. You should read the warnings & advice before downloading it.
Since this is the 1st day its available to the public, it's taking a while to download--it should be faster in a few days.
Your post made me curious, and I went to download the RC. It was pretty quick! 👍
Then I thought of all the things I'll have to go through to tweak things for my business settings, so I've decided not to install... 😌

In addition, I read that the RC version, which expires in June 2010, will start shutting down every 2 hours starting March 2010, after a warning is issued. Who wants to deal with that? :(

Windows 7 seems great, with the XP-compatible mode for running my old XP software, and will be my OS of choice when the full version arrives. I will no longer need to dual-boot!
Another great news I found just minutes ago is that Microsoft is considering free upgrades to Vista Ultimate, Business and Premium users! If it happens, I'm going to get it right away!! 😎

Edit: No word about free upgrades, but I just read that the XP mode doesn't work for every machine--depends on your chip (certain Intel models) and BIOS. Mine passes, fortunately, but it seems there are other virtualization options from 3rd party vendors, so that's cool!

Last edited:
Securtiy for Windows 7

I tried to install Norton Internet Security 2009 on Windows 7 but it refused to install, calling Win 7 an unrecognizable OS. :( So I had to download the Win 7 version from the Norton website.

BTW, if you have the Japanese version of Norton Internet Security (for any OS), you can download the English version. It will automatically replace the Japanese version. (It's easier for me to deal with the English version, and security seems kind of important.)

:
Vista Ultimate has multilingual capability, making you able to create user accounts in various languages, including English and Japanese. You don't have to dual-boot for that, just switch between users. Since Windows 7 beta is an Ultimate version, I think it has the same capability?
W7 RC has the multilingual function! 👍

You need to d/l the language pack you need but then it's easy to switch between, for example, Japanese and English by going to the control panel and setting your default language. Cool!

You should try it out by creating a small 20GB partition on you hard drive using Vista's partition manager and installing the RC there. Then tweak as time permits. I've found myself using the RC version more than my regular Vista (J) OS.

[Actually, W7 is not that different from Vista but its easy to get accustomed to. :)]

I tried to install Norton Internet Security 2009 on Windows 7 but it refused to install, calling Win 7 an unrecognizable OS. :( So I had to download the Win 7 version from the Norton website.
BTW, if you have the Japanese version of Norton Internet Security (for any OS), you can download the English version. It will automatically replace the Japanese version. (It's easier for me to deal with the English version, and security seems kind of important.)

Everything that has the names Norton or McAfee are known as being things as dangerous as malware itself for some reason. But still I've never liked them either. I previously used Eset NOD32/Eset Smart Security. Right now, I'm using Avira AntiVir Personal and it serves its purpose very well for a free anti-malware that has been considered as good as the best paid anti-malware out there. Besides, Windows 7 has security features built-in like the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender, so there's no need to install those buggy "nortons" or "mcafees" at all, as long as you use the Net responsibly and only need an anti-malware software to protect your friends from malware and do some scanning now and then. :p

Everything that has the names Norton or McAfee are known as being things as dangerous as malware itself for some reason. But still I've never liked them either. I previously used Eset NOD32/Eset Smart Security. Right now, I'm using Avira AntiVir Personal and it serves its purpose very well for a free anti-malware that has been considered as good as the best paid anti-malware out there. Besides, Windows 7 has security features built-in like the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender, so there's no need to install those buggy "nortons" or "mcafees" at all, as long as you use the Net responsibly and only need an anti-malware software to protect your friends from malware and do some scanning now and then. :p

The Norton 2009 Internet Securtiy is much improved from the previous versions. I haven't had any issues with it. If you depend on the Windows security plus a free anti-virus prgm, you'll need to tweak some of windows default settings, such as sharing wizard, UPnP, and desktop remote to make it really safe.

Well, so far I'm very satisfied with the way Vista works for me at the moment so I won't do the switch. Maybe in the future but I'll wait to see how Windows 7 is accepted by others.

I'm still not sure why everyone hates Vista. I mean, is W7 going back to using less RAM and stuff? Is it really that much more basic and acceptable?

I don't think so but everytime Windows releases something new everybody wants to have it, no matter what. That's just the way it is. :)

I'm in love with the new application bar on the bottom of windows 7. The fact that you can now move maximized windows is a big plus, especially if you've dual screen like I've.

It is really worth to at least try it out.

Special Campaign

I just checked Bic Camera's website and found that the special offer of upgrading Vista and receiving a free copy of Windows 7 with about 4,000 yen in discount points for future purchases is no longer available. :(

You can still get the free copy of Win 7 with a Vista upgrade from Amazon.co.jp but no discounts.

I don't need the Vista upgrade! I just want Win 7 for $49 that's available at Amazon.com U.S. But they won't ship to Japan. GRRRR! BAKAMONO! (I'll need to ask my sister for help.)

Life is so difficult. (T.T)

For most people the removal of this virus is very challenging. :p

I figured only the basic package would even halfway pay for itself after shilling out well over 100 bucks to get Norton Antivirus 2010 installed, memory added and the scum removed via professional tech support. At the point NIS 2009 was rendered useless by disabler malware, ten months to go on the subscription. And will be taking it in tomorrow again for simlar symptoms of a redirect visus that was causing the issues before. The key I've been informed is never to click on non-security related pop ups. This stuff is seriously spreading like a plague. :(

I havent switched to Windows 7 just yet, am running Vista Home Premium, with the addition of service packs 1 and 2, and so far Im not having any problems. Mind you I do find it alot faster and easier to use compared to XP. :)

Upgrading from XP to 7, rumors...

Note: Vista lasted only what, 2 and a half years? Where I am, persons who were running XP ignored Vista as best they could, and some persons and corporations with fleets of thousands of PCs never upgraded. If it hasn't been mentioned before, the rumor is that when upgrading from these XP PCs to 7, all your disk is scrubbed clean. Only when you have Vista loaded can you make a successful upgrade to 7, with data unmolested. To me, I am not sure that people are aware of this consequence, if it is true.

EdZiomek,
Please note that when migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will not have an "in place upgrade" option. You will however have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data in "My Documents" over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself. All applications and documents stored in other locations will have to be reinstalled / transferred manually.

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Two step process, maybe, as a solution?

JessicaD, thank you for your very good response.

In my perfect cinderella world, and in the interest of saving the cost of any missing original application softwares and accumulated upgrades, could an XP user purchase a new copy of Vista as a first step install, then purchase a copy of Windows 7 as the second step install, to preserve the entire disk?

It seems like a cheaper, less annoying path if one could do it that way successfully, rather than lose all application software.

Windows 7 doesn't support my scanner's drivers in 64x.

How crappy, now I have to go back to my XP computer with 384 MB Ram.

Windows 7 doesn't support my scanner's drivers in 64x.

How crappy, now I have to go back to my XP computer with 384 MB Ram.
Yeah, tough isn't it.

I found my sound card (a cheapo version carrying a top brand name) totally incompatible with Windows 7. I need to replace that if I were to migrate. So far, I'm ok with XP and Vista, so I plan to migrate when it becomes totally necessary.

Back
Top Bottom