What's new

will my laptop work in Japan?

kazuri

後輩
12 Oct 2007
Hi, im from the UK and i rely heavily on using my laptop for studying and such. will i be able to use my laptop in Japan?

i believe they have different socket voltage there, so I wouldn't be able to plug my laptop in? could I buy an adaptor or something to make it work?

And would my wireless card work on japanese WLAN's too?

I'm pretty ignorant about this 😊

Thanks

Looks like you'll need a transformer and a plug adapter for using your laptop in Japan.

Check the Wikipedia page titled "Domestic AC power plugs and sockets" and scroll down to the bottom for the differences.

Wireless LAN card standard is international, so you can use it in Japan.

Good luck! :)

It would be best if we knew what type of laptop you have.

Look on the info that came with it...most newer pc's and laptops are auto switching for voltage between 100V and 240V!

That would mean that you should be ok. You will most likely need the plug adapter though.

Last edited:
Most likely your laptop AC adapter can be used with 110V (check what it says on it), then you only need the simple plug adapter. Doesn't cost more than a few hundred Yen. All it does is make your AC adapter fit into the socket. The Japanese socket is the same as in the US and you can use the same adapter. You can find them in the UK, at airports or at electronic stores in Japan.

While the US does use the Japanese style sockets, US outlets are more likely to have one side bigger than the other, or be a 3-prong. Most Japanese outlets I've seen have 2-prongs of the same size.

While the US does use the Japanese style sockets, US outlets are more likely to have one side bigger than the other, or be a 3-prong. Most Japanese outlets I've seen have 2-prongs of the same size.

Most PLUGS I've seen in Japan have two prongs of equal size but most WALL SOCKETS have the larger right hand slot so that's not a problem for NA 'visitors' (we're all visitors apparently these days, so we should change our vocabulary appropriately).

The OP is from the UK so ideally he/she should pick up a five quid socket adaptor for his UK three-pin plug and once here buy a cheap, 700 yen, mains cable for his AC adaptor (then he doesn't have to carry around the large socket adaptor which rarely fits comfortably inside a computer bag and is a scratched lid waiting to happen).

Of course if the laptop is an old model he should really wait until he's in Japan and pick up something brand new. Prices are lower to start with, specs are higher, and VAT is only 5% compared with the UK's 17.5%. A middle-spec new DELL laptop in Japan is at least 200 quid cheaper than in the UK. English OS of course.

If the OP wants some more help - PM me.

--

Back
Top Bottom