What's new

Will being critical of Japanese government hamper JET program aspirations?

Athenry

後輩
19 Dec 2014
I'm an aspiring journalist, I've been writing freelance on and off for the past few years.

In the past 12 months I've written a few articles about Japan, and in them I take quite a critical tone toward Abe's LDP, and some of the far-right groups in Japan. In particular when it comes to military expansion, denialism and reinterpreting Article 9.

I would like to teach in Japan, and have been planning to apply to the JET program late next year, to teach in mid-2016.

Do you think my criticism of the current Japanese administration, and the far-right in Japan, will have any impact on my chances of being accepted?

Only if you go out of your way to draw their attention to it.

A case of biting the hand before wanting it to feed you?

Only if you go out of your way to draw their attention to it.

A case of biting the hand before wanting it to feed you?

Ah well hopefully it won't come back to bite me. I've recently adopted a more positive outlook on life, so I'll probably have a couple of more positive articles about Japan out in the future too.

Hah yeah I guess so. I find it hard to keep my mouth shut about things I care about.

I don't see much opinion in them, just factual reporting. Plus, they are in a blog, not a commercially distributed media affiliation. When/If you are interviewed, they will probably ask about what you did in Japan as a freelance writer, so that's probably when you will have to do any explaining. Keep it simple, such as "I reported in a blog about some major political events" instead of "I wrote about (implying giving your opinion) them on my blog".

I don't see much opinion in them, just factual reporting. Plus, they are in a blog, not a commercially distributed media affiliation. When/If you are interviewed, they will probably ask about what you did in Japan as a freelance writer, so that's probably when you will have to do any explaining. Keep it simple, such as "I reported in a blog about some major political events" instead of "I wrote about (implying giving your opinion) them on my blog".

Thanks for the advice, I will do that. I'm probably overthinking it a little. I know something like this wouldn't matter too much to Australia, I just figured the Japanese government cares a lot more about its reputation than Australia does. But hopefully my resume will be of a high enough quality that they won't even need the clarification, if I get to that stage.

Thanks again.

A resume isn't a confession, you don't have to put in any information you don't think would be advantageous.

A resume is basically a sales pitch. When I bought my car the salesman talked about the great fuel efficiency, not the severely restricted trunk space.

Why not just leave out anything you don't think sells you?

Hello

I didn't find your articles particularly anti-Japanese, and not really very anti-establishment either, so I think you are worrying too much. If anything, they needed a bit of editing (sorry, can't help myself). Tojo's grand-daughter (Yuko, not Yuki) was never elected to any office, and by the time your article went live, she had already been dead for nearly a year. Most Japanese viewed her as bat-shite crazy, and she was soundly rejected at the polls, which I think would have been a contrary indicator to the supposed shift towards militarism.

But this is after-the-fact, and probably more suited to the "serious discussions" thread. As above, your CV is supposed to let the employer know how awesome you are. It doesn't need to be a catalogue of all the skeletons in your closet.

Seems kind of a shame to give up a budding career in journalism in order to get stuck into the English teaching gig. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against JET. In fact I think it is a great way for people to come to Japan and learn about Japan first-hand (although I'm not sure about its efficacy as a vehicle for teaching Japanese kids English. This is a thought for yet another thread). Maybe it would be also worthwhile to see if any of the English-language newspapers here are looking for experienced reporters?

Hello

I didn't find your articles particularly anti-Japanese, and not really very anti-establishment either, so I think you are worrying too much. If anything, they needed a bit of editing (sorry, can't help myself). Tojo's grand-daughter (Yuko, not Yuki) was never elected to any office, and by the time your article went live, she had already been dead for nearly a year. Most Japanese viewed her as bat-shite crazy, and she was soundly rejected at the polls, which I think would have been a contrary indicator to the supposed shift towards militarism.

But this is after-the-fact, and probably more suited to the "serious discussions" thread. As above, your CV is supposed to let the employer know how awesome you are. It doesn't need to be a catalogue of all the skeletons in your closet.

Seems kind of a shame to give up a budding career in journalism in order to get stuck into the English teaching gig. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against JET. In fact I think it is a great way for people to come to Japan and learn about Japan first-hand (although I'm not sure about its efficacy as a vehicle for teaching Japanese kids English. This is a thought for yet another thread). Maybe it would be also worthwhile to see if any of the English-language newspapers here are looking for experienced reporters?

Perhaps I was just being a little paranoid.

Oh wow, I can't believe I didn't notice the typo on Ms. Tojo's name, that's embarrassing.

I've always been torn between teaching and journalism. In the end I chose journalism, and plan to see it through. But the benefits of living and working in Japan, even for a short period of time are too great not to chase. I don't think I would have adequate experience to find a job reporting in Japan by the time I am ready to go there, so that's part of the reason why I'm considering JET. I figure living in Japan full-time for any length of time will help my knowledge of the nation's politics, culture and language which will then end up giving me a leg-up in my writing in the future too, maybe I'll get people's names right then haha.

Thanks for the advice.

Perhaps I was just being a little paranoid.

Yes, you were. I doubt very much Mr. Abe has your name on a blacklist. Though with that state secrets act that got rammed through the Diet......

[/QUOTE]
I've always been torn between teaching and journalism.
[/QUOTE]
A writers got to eat. I think most every person I know who is an artist/writer/musician/what-have-you, has a day job too and a majority of those day jobs are teaching in some capacity. The 2nd part of the JET mantra, right after, "Every situation is different." is "JET is not a career." JET is hands down, the sweetest teaching gig a newbie can land. Great job for an aspiring journalist.

Back
Top Bottom