What's new

Wild Japanese TV Shows!

Flashjeff

Pink Lady's Number #1 Fan
28 Dec 2003
I used to think we depraved Americans put some crazy s@#$ on TV (i.e.: the reality show craze), but our good friends over in Japan have us beat six ways to Sunday, thanks to a couple of imports currently seen on Spike TV: MXC (Most Extreme Elimination Challenge) and Hey! Spring of Trivia.

MXC is the goofiest of the two, it's a show where people brave all sorts of insane obstacle courses: like trying to crash through one of five doors which is made of paper, the other four are solid wood, watching them bounce off the wooden doors is funny; riding a mechanical bull while trying to zap a pink rubber bat with a water gun (the game's called "Buck Off") and my favorite where contestants have to swing over a muddy pool on a rope and land on a pylon. That game's called "Dope on a Rope". Another funny part of the show are the hosts dressed in shogun costumes with loopy English dubbing throughout.

Hey! Spring of Trivia is another dopey show where celebrities watch film clips of perfectly ridiculous trivia and vote which one is their best. The premiere episode this past Thursday saw toddlers in China wearing crotchless pants and doing a number two ON THE STREET; using bottle rockets to propel a man into the air; crayfish who piss through their face and other nutty stuff. I'll definitely tune in for more fun filled insanity from both shows!

Watching those shows makes me wonder what other crazy stuff the Japanese are producing for their viewing public!

:D

MXC is amazing, one of the few gems on TV. I just wonder how accurate the translations are from the announcers, they really can't be saying that random gibberish or are they?

Sensebend said:
MXC is amazing, one of the few gems on TV. I just wonder how accurate the translations are from the announcers, they really can't be saying that random gibberish or are they?

My friend, it wouldn't surprise me if they did! :D

MXC is just a silly redub of a silly Japanese TV show called Takeshi's Castle. The guys that redubbed Takeshi's Castle also re-editted the whole thing. None of that dialogue is translated from the Japanese.

at least the spring of trivia show attempts to translate most of what is said as is... LOL

I thought the most memorable moment of the most extreme show was when the guy was about to skip over the styrofoam rocks in the pond to cross over it, then does a somersault to show off just before he attempts to make his daring hop, skip jump routine, lands on his head instead.....and you see Takeshi's slackjawed response at seeing anything so stupid....as the two hosts sit in stunned silence.....then have the kid of the somersaulting guy call his dad a lamer after he fails the jump.....

that was a classic scene.... :D

I think that both MXC and Hey Spring of Trivia are awesome!!..they always give me a reason to laugh XDD...I wish they had more game shows like that here in the U.S...^^

Camui said:
I think that both MXC and Hey Spring of Trivia are awesome!!..they always give me a reason to laugh XDD...I wish they had more game shows like that here in the U.S...^^

I couldn't agree with you more! Both shows are a riot! :D

On SoT, it was revealed that the title one of Mozart's compositions was literally translated as being "Lick My ***"! That had me rolling!!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I love MXC. Some of the things they do are crazy. I've only seen it on Spike TV tho, I wonder what the dialogue is like in the real show.

Back
Top Bottom