What's new

why Tenno didn't be replace in Postwar and why Japanese still respect him

See An Invasion Not Found in History Books.
There should be more discussions on this on forum and the web.
Try searching with key words "emperor" or "tenno" with "trial" or "McArthur."

Simply put, many practical considerations influenced the decision whether to try in court or to leave alone the head of former Japanese Imperial Army. To keep him was the final verdict although he was forced to declare himslef human and not divine.

I cannot explain why the Japanese people respect him. But aren't heads of state (or army) respected in general ? People don't always think before deciding to offer devotion, do they ? ;-)

Many older Japanese still consider him divine, or at the very least worthy close to worship because that is what they were taught. Some just never coped well with the western occupation.

A majority of Japanese respect our monarchy and Tenno plays a great roll as our mental comfort. So what is the mental comfort and what for?

I don't know if you know a popular and long-lasting, 35 years in TV, anime, Sazae san.ツ It is just about their daily life, nothing exciting happens there. No doraemon with its future items, pikachu or robots with high-tech weapons. Just a bit funny stories among cheerful characters. When I watch it, I feel a kind of nostalgia on something lost in my daily life.
It is interesting, at least for me, to think Prince Naruhito and Princess Aiko will act their historical/cultural rolls in the future like other Tenno did in the past.

I don't deny people saying that the monarch system is out-dated to justify social problems or that everything happens for reason and acting his/her roll as a devil's advocate. It might be true if we all would be rational people... So our tax on keeping our monarchy is just nothing, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom