What's new

Why japanese in usa are racist towards me

Another one i had been meeting for a while helping her with some english,stopped being my friend right after she met new white friends.

I also once helped out the same female Japanese exchange student with technical-English when her second-hand automobile broke down,her Engrish proficiency was limited to daily conversational American-English and some vocabularies.

She and I met at the right place and at the right time back then,we didn't intentionally sought out each other for cross-cultural friendship.We both had some fun outings together on week-ends and during evenings,she also took out-of-town trips with other fellow Japanese exchange students from International Student Program.She would sometimes voluntarily told me some gossip stories about other Japanese girls she befriended on and off campus,won't write the juicy details here though.

She went back to Japan after her studies,wrote to me twice just to notify she arrived safely home and found employment with a local Japanese firm imports German mechanical equipment.

Then,our contacts ended because we've moved on to a new chapter of our life.I have fond memory of those times with her,a very pleasant person anyone would love to have for a company or friend.

I don't get it.. Seems you guys are not studying japanese or anything. You guys probably live in japan or so. But for people in america who study japanese or are interested , that's one of the goals we have, to have cultural awareness and learn from eachother. If you're japanese or speak japanese super perfect... or if you are one of those Americans that doesn't want to learn languages then you probably just accept japanese people speaking english all the time and don't have an interest in learning the person's culture.. then you can just keep talking english and just befriending and just ignore culture and move on to know the person regardless of culture. but if for the most part if you're interested in foreigners and you're not an idiot.. you will always want to learn about the other person's life and culture both in the language/culture exchange and also as a friend.

I don't get it.. Seems you guys are not studying japanese or anything. You guys probably live in japan or so. But for people in america who study japanese or are interested , that's one of the goals we have, to have cultural awareness and learn from eachother. If you're japanese or speak japanese super perfect... or if you are one of those Americans that doesn't want to learn languages then you probably just accept japanese people speaking english all the time and don't have an interest in learning the person's culture.. then you can just keep talking english and just befriending and just ignore culture and move on to know the person regardless of culture. but if for the most part if you're interested in foreigners and you're not an idiot.. you will always want to learn about the other person's life and culture both in the language/culture exchange and also as a friend.

And there is a tendency to end up treating them as objects or manifestations of your perceptions instead of individuals. It's annoying and dehumanizing.

Did you read my other post?

Have you been asking these Japanese people the same kinds of questions you've been asking us on jref? I had some sympathy when I read your first post in this thread, but the more you write, the more I'm starting to suspect that the problem is not racism so much as your attitude.

I'm living in Japan and I completely agree with nurizeko and Mike Cash. I am approached by many people who want to practice their English or hang out with "a foreigner." It gets old quickly. We who are living abroad did not go there to give out free language lessons in our spare time, nor to become somebody's personal encyclopedia of our home country. Try to find somebody with the same hobbies as you, because it's boring to answer the same questions about our countries hundreds of times.

A rather generalised, and I must say, ignorant view on members on this forum, especailly those who also live in the US.:eek: No wonder Japanese don't want to talk to you with an attitude like that. BTW how old are you?

or if you are one of those Americans that doesn't want to learn languages then you probably just accept japanese people speaking english all the time and don't have an interest in learning the person's culture
Because that is what they are here to learn. If you were in Japan would you want to be criticized for practicing Japanese ? :eek: BTW, and I'm just curious on this, what's the reason for the accent as an American native speaker ?

And If you meant earlier you were trying to force these exchange partners to speak Japanese to be your friend you need to pay them for it...as a language tutor. 😌

or if you are one of those Americans

I'm British.

There are hundreds of different cultures and thousands of languages, and the vast majority of the worlds population's idea of a good time doesnt involve helping every random with their urge to learn language and make cultural exchanges.

I'm simply saying, the way you treat those Japanese people is rude.

I would suggest perhaps, as I have once or twice already, that you look for a penpal on a penpal site, since these people (many who are Japanese) will share your interests, that is, to learn a foreign language or make cultural exchanges.

You wouldnt tolerate other people comming up to you and trying to practice Spanish on you or ask all sorts of questions about central America, because A) You might not be interested, B) You might not speak or want to teach Spanish and C) You might not want to talk about some other country/know anything about the country in question.

People like being treated like human beings for the most part, if you want to become genuine friends, start treating them as individual human beings first and nationality second or even third.

And also making friends with race or language in mnid will always force you to accept rejection, not everyone appriciates using their language, race, or culture as a source of false loyalty and popularity.

The internet is your friend, you will find those who share your interests.

And If you meant earlier you were trying to force these exchange partners to speak Japanese to be your friend you need to pay them for it...as a language tutor.
What Elizabeth said.

Last edited:
If i went to japan i would not want to be criticized for practicing Japanese. But i wouldn't just talk in japanese, as if ignoring my languages or wanting to forget them. And i wouldn't just speak my languages if i met people in japan from countries were those languages are spoken, i would be happy to speak to japanese people also .

I'm not an American native speaker, i'm american hispanic with spanish as my first language. I wasn't forcing nobody to do anything, but i just mean i don't get why many times it seems like many japanese think they would be punished if they spoke japanese with a foreigner in America. But that's not the point of the thread ,, the reason why i brought up this English/language ting is because many of the japanese i keep meeting and the people that look down on me are the ones that desire to use only English. They learn this American Style of english from tv or tapes or movies...and when they meet me they base the Americanness of Americans based on whether or not they speak like that. Then in chats or voice chats, they always keep telling me i'm not american just from my accent without even knowing where i come from.

Didn't you just answer your own question? You don't fit the typical image of an American that's been built by the American media. Perhaps you should be taking up issue with the media conglomerates that ignore the plurality of the America population, instead of people who have nothing else on which to base their opinions.

I'm not an American native speaker, i'm american hispanic with spanish as my first language.
Because they have no way of confirming whether you are a native born Spanish in the home, English with Americans type case or naturalized citizen situation who acquired it through immersion as a child. Either way, Americans speaking English at a native level generally goes along with not having an accent. :)

If your goal is to learn Japanese and learn about Japanese culture, why not consider joining a Japanese language meetup group...

Meetup - We are what we do

...there you will find Japanese people who are both interesting in helping you with your Japanese, and learning English. Something that it seems quite popular for young men around the world if you consider the number of "Let me teach you English..." posts.

pinson27 said:
I wasn't forcing nobody to do anything, but i just mean i don't get why many times it seems like many japanese think they would be punished if they spoke japanese with a foreigner in America.
If this helps you clear up some of your doubts, the ESL(English as a Second Language) program I took had English only policy, and your native language was not welcomed in the classroom; to be fair to other students and teachers; to simply concentrate on improving your language skill. I coudn't even have my Japanese-English dictionary. We were allowed to use any language we wanted after school and were encouraged to interact freely with students from other countries, but I did feel guilty speaking Japanese with other Japanese students and tried not to especially when non-Japanese were present.

Back
Top Bottom