What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Why is the JLPT exam administratively so badly organised?

cloa513

Sempai
Reaction score
The setting of the location- why is only 15 days before that they actually designate the locations in Japan. Overseas has it set months in advance.
The examiners seemed to be poorly trained- wasting time and not allowing the exam time specified- we lost 5 minutes on many parts and on breaks too.
Why does it take them until February to send the results? It is set up to be virtually automatized- suppose them might need a little manual checking here and there so maybe a week for marking.
I talk to Japanese at work and they can't fathom these aspects.

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
At a guess, there's little or no oversight of the JLPT system, which is probably run by semi-retired bureaucrats as their little empire, and no attempt to gain feedback from examinees so that they might improve their service, so therefore little impetus to change the system, which has probably remained largely unaltered since the exam first came into existence despite technological advances. I imagine the one big change (the introduction of the level betwen the old 2kyuu and 3 kyuu) was at least parly motivated by the prospect of increased revenue.

Do they still have that ridiculous yellow card and red card system for misdemeanours?

cloa513

Sempai
Reaction score
Yes, ithe card systems exists on paper but I was next to a guy who breached a rule- he opened his paper early and the examiners didnt notice or care. I told him not to do that outside the exam room.

cloa513

Sempai
Reaction score
Also the examiners only have a sticker name tag that only says a name not that they are examiners. I did n4 and managed to ask one " sumimasen ga aircon no zatsuon o sagete kudasai"and she turned it off for the listening part- however some it was unlike what I expected let's see if I guessed right.

salyavin

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
You speak Japanese at work in Japan and took the n4, a bit surprising? I skipped N5 and N4 and only started with N3 to build confidence with an easy pass. There is much wrong with the system I wonder if eiken or even the western TOEFL is much better, I have no idea. On revenue I can believe it, I have technical certifications which I am certain are to generate money.

Top Bottom