What's new

Why is it weird for a Japanese person to walk with a black person?

Shin Asura

後輩
11 Oct 2004
I was walking with my Japanese friend at school today and there were so many Japanese students giving me bad looks. When I got home, I emailed her and asked why Japanese people don't like black people. She told me that she thinks it's because Japanese people think that cultures are supposed to stay together and not mix with one another.

Is it because Japan has been so closed to foreigners for the longest time, I think there was an Emperor that made it illegal for foreigners to visit Japan awhile ago, I guess this is still in the Japanese minds, even today.

That's pretty sad if you ask me.

Awhile ago, I took two Japanese girls out and we ran into a group of Japanese tourists, all they did was stare at us, one of the girls I took out has an I don't want to be here look. I took them home and never called them again.

I don't want to be a target for staring everytime I go out with my Japanese friends or maybe one day I find a Japanese girlfriend, but I'm thinking that will never happen.

Don't let it get you down. Who's in the right here and who's in the wrong? If you find Japanese friends who don't mind the staring, then don't worry about it. Easy for me to say, but I used to be one of the only white kids when I was in high school and I got told plenty of times not to fool with black girls, but I do have to admit that in general the black kids I knew growing up were much cooler about the race thing than any of my white friends were.

Let em stare - be a bigger person than they are. Be proud of knowing that inside we're all the same anyways. Don't just give up.

Sadly, there are a lot of Japanese people who have a hard time knowing what to do when they see foreigners or interracial couples; also I don't think a lot of Japanese people have proper etiquette that you can see in the U.S. or Europe.

On the other hand, you can meet most open-minded people in Japan sometimes.

Like Fantt said,
Don't let it get you down.

Fantt said:
Don't let it get you down. Who's in the right here and who's in the wrong? If you find Japanese friends who don't mind the staring, then don't worry about it. Easy for me to say, but I used to be one of the only white kids when I was in high school and I got told plenty of times not to fool with black girls, but I do have to admit that in general the black kids I knew growing up were much cooler about the race thing than any of my white friends were.

Let em stare - be a bigger person than they are. Be proud of knowing that inside we're all the same anyways. Don't just give up.

I was just checking out your pics, nice pics.

I don't want to go to Japan and have every Japanese person stare at me and give me a disgusted glare, for one it's going to be a waste of money and two, I'll be destroyed.

Here I've been liking a culture for so long and I find out that I may not be openly welcomed there, sure I'll be able to go and interact with people, but will that person want to with me? chances are they won't.

I've really liked Japan for the longest time, but these things are starting to get to me!

Yeah I know, don't let it get you down, that's easy for you guys to say. What positive aspect is there for me to look forward to?

Do you base your entire level of enjoyment on the way that people look at you? If you're not interested in seeing the sights in Japan and experiencing the culture, regardless of the way that you're stared at, then you probably don't need to be in Japan.

Shin Asura said:
I don't want to go to Japan and have every Japanese person stare at me and give me a disgusted glare, for one it's going to be a waste of money and two, I'll be destroyed.
oh cmon, it's character building for one. are you tall? maybe you remind them of bob sapp, and they're just waiting for you to do something crazy and barbaric.

i tend to be cheeky if i feel like japanese people are starring at me too much. maybe that's my australian sense of personality coming through, but i think it works. if i was in the situation where i thought everybody looked at me more than usual, i would stick a piece of paper on my back saying something like "MIRU NA, KONO NAMAIKI NIHONJIN YAROU". or maybe something not quite extreme - have a magic trick up your sleeve ready to perform at the groups of gawking onlookers. just stop in front of them, get their attention and perform a trick. at least now they'll be starring for a good reason.

Shin Asura said:

I've really liked Japan for the longest time, but these things are starting to get to me!

Yeah I know, don't let it get you down, that's easy for you guys to say. What positive aspect is there for me to look forward to?

Maybe I wasn't paying attention because I don't care what people think of me, but I'm African-American, and when I was in Japan in August of 2003, I had a great time, wasn't stared or glared at or anything. Even went to a concert (Pink Lady) and wasn't given the hairy eyeball, and at 6-2, I stood out like Yao Ming at a midget convention! People treated me well, from Tokyo to Yokohama to the Ginza and more, so I had no problems.

If you're gonna worry and get paranoid about being stared harshly at, you'll never get to explore the world and see its sights. People the world over are going to have their viewpoints and misconceptions about folks who are different than them, but those narrow minded individuals are a minority. Thanks to my years in the Navy, I've traveled the world over and seen many different cultures and got to interact with people who treated me well and respected me.

You can't let fear of what other people think rule your life, if they're gonna stare, then stare right back, don't let 'em see you sweat! Works for me! The positive is the chance to visit one of the truly great cities in the world that's Tokyo, it's an experience that shouldn't be missed by a Japanophile. Don't let fear keep you from experiencing the wonders of that great country!

The thing I'd be more concerned about is this:

Awhile ago, I took two Japanese girls out and we ran into a group of Japanese tourists, all they did was stare at us, one of the girls I took out has an I don't want to be here look. I took them home and never called them again.

The fact that a girl is happy to be with you UNTIL she is seen by 'disapprving' Japanese, then she looks uncomfortable. You don't need that noise. Well done in palming them off if they are that shallow.

hmm??

i find what you say very irreasonable , you were walking in a country where foreign Japanese gave you a disgusted look cause you are black ..?? yeah ..??

Im sorry but this is rather funny :D :D :D :D

Shin Asura said:
I was walking with my Japanese friend at school today and there were so many Japanese students giving me bad looks. When I got home, I emailed her and asked why Japanese people don't like black people. She told me that she thinks it's because Japanese people think that cultures are supposed to stay together and not mix with one another.

Is it because Japan has been so closed to foreigners for the longest time, I think there was an Emperor that made it illegal for foreigners to visit Japan awhile ago, I guess this is still in the Japanese minds, even today.

That's pretty sad if you ask me.

I don't want to be a target for staring everytime I go out with my Japanese friends or maybe one day I find a Japanese girlfriend, but I'm thinking that will never happen.

This post is strange. Are you sure they were staring at you because you were black? Are you sure there wasn't maybe a strange message on his tee-shirt? Was your fly undone? Do you look like someone famous? Where were you? Maybe those tourists were wondering if they could talk to your friends? Why have you not spoken to your friends since?

no. some foreigners go there strictly to date women, and they are giving ALL foreigners a bad name
some people got serious beef with the u.s. about that tourist that was killed also
so the beef may have nothing to do with being of color, but of being american

"What positive aspect is there for me to look forward to?"
don't date anyone and just enjoy the culture and the sights
the buildings are still the same
if HAPPENING to see someone dropping dirty looks, smile at them. it hurts so bad, believe me

I Must Be A Ham??

Everytime I went to a small town with my girl I was stared at like I had two heads and a green body. I loved it! I used to think , this must be how it is for a rock star that was disaproved of by the older croud. Who cares what others think , enjoy the moment & the one you're with.

Frank

😊

budd said:
no. some foreigners go there strictly to date women, and they are giving ALL foreigners a bad name
some people got serious beef with the u.s. about that tourist that was killed also
so the beef may have nothing to do with being of color, but of being american

"What positive aspect is there for me to look forward to?"
don't date anyone and just enjoy the culture and the sights
the buildings are still the same
if HAPPENING to see someone dropping dirty looks, smile at them. it hurts so bad, believe me
I figure the death stare of doom, their dirty look aplified, refined and shot abck, works even better.

My fave day was when I was a bit beered up. I sat on a train, quietly and unobtrosively I might add, when an old lady that was next to me got up and MOVED a few seats down away from me. So being a bit courageous, I got up and moved back next too her. She did it again. So did I.

FUN!

You can't let fear of what other people think rule your life, if they're gonna stare, then stare right back, don't let 'em see you sweat! Works for me! The positive is the chance to visit one of the truly great cities in the world that's Tokyo, it's an experience that shouldn't be missed by a Japanophile. Don't let fear keep you from experiencing the wonders of that great country!

I couldn't have said it better.

👍

FirstHousePooka said:
I figure the death stare of doom, their dirty look aplified, refined and shot abck, works even better.

My fave day was when I was a bit beered up. I sat on a train, quietly and unobtrosively I might add, when an old lady that was next to me got up and MOVED a few seats down away from me. So being a bit courageous, I got up and moved back next too her. She did it again. So did I.

FUN!
hahhaa...well she didn't move because you were american, but because you prolly smelled like a beerkeg or looked like some drunk hobo :D :p

RockLee said:
hahhaa...well she didn't move because you were american, but because you prolly smelled like a beerkeg or looked like some drunk hobo :D :p
Nah. I wasn't that drunk at all.
Unoticeable in fact (and smelling on Pi by Givenchy).

Just silly enough to be able to decide to harass a racist old crone:D

Oh BTW Im aussie.

"She reinforced some of my opinions about old people."
people there just don't like to sit next to each other on trains period
i seen plenty of japanese guys get up and move down or away from each other, and they looked close in age + didn't smell (as far as i could tell)
most lucky that old woman didn't have no heart attack and the other folks call the police (as a result)

I don't know anyone in Sweden that likes to sit next to people on busses etc either. If there is two seats somewhere, don't sit next to me. X( Unless it's a cute girl..

Frank D. White said:
Everytime I went to a small town with my girl I was stared at like I had two heads and a green body. I loved it! I used to think , this must be how it is for a rock star that was disaproved of by the older croud. Who cares what others think , enjoy the moment & the one you're with.

Frank

😊

Frank makes the best point in my opinion.

Just be proud of who you are, be proud of your skin color, be proud of your ethnicity. **** the simpletons who have a problem with inter-racial relationships, just know that you are a better person then those who look down upon you.

oro..orororoo.! if i were out with a jap gurl and ppl were sdtaring at us in a way that i did not like i would get up and challenge then then 1 guy would come up to me and evey1 would crown around and we would b standing there then some1 would yell fight and the jump up and put my heel in his mouth knock his teth out! :D and he would fall to the floor K.O. then all the other ppl crownding around would pick up knifes bottles anything to beat me with then i would grab the gurl starting running with her thn a couple of them would catch up id tell her to stay back then i would take then out with a few deadly combos like the law in tekken 3 u cant fk with me hahahahah! :D :D :D hen we would run jump on a nice clean jap train with no1 on it then it would start raining and all the intensity would make her crazy!!! wink wink ahhaha. then we go back jap apartment hahah "say what!"

FirstHousePooka said:
Tough for her.
Well, she'll probably tell others about it. Such stuff goes round & it will come back to you & maybe others with darker skin (if she makes a racial issue of it). Maybe you should think a bit into the future before harassing people, even if you're "a bit beered up." Sometimes it's a nice move to be a bit reserved.

Back
Top Bottom