What's new

why is でのこと used

letslearn

先輩
11 Sep 2013
Hi all,
I have two questions regarding the opening lines of a short story called 真夜中の王女 (midnight princess)
ある王国でのこと。
うつくしい王女が十五歳でなくなって、そのなきがらをおさめたひつぎが、教会にはこびこまれた。
1Is the use of でのこと just to give the impression that something is happening or taking place.
2 Is the verb associated with object marker をおさめた 収める?And if so is なきがらをおさめたひつぎが a polite set phrase that means the burial casket. or is the literal meaning they want because it is a horror story therefore it would be something like corpse interned coffin.

so my interpretation is,
In a kingdom a 15 year old beautiful princess passed away and her corpse interned casket was carried to the church.

よろしくお願いします

1Is the use of でのこと just to give the impression that something is happening or taking place.
To state that something happened in ある王国.

2 Is the verb associated with object marker をおさめた 収める?And if so is なきがらをおさめたひつぎが a polite set phrase that means the burial casket. or is the literal meaning they want because it is a horror story therefore it would be something like corpse interned coffin.
Yes, it's that verb. I don't think it's a set phrase, anyway I've not seen it before. It's just 'the casket that contained the corpse'.

so my interpretation is,
In a kingdom a 15 year old beautiful princess passed away and her corpse interned casket was carried to the church.

よろしくお願いします
That's reasonable. The English is a little odd since we don't normally use verb phrases to directly modify nouns but as long as the translation is for you and no one else it's fine.

To state that something happened in ある王国.

Yes, it's that verb. I don't think it's a set phrase, anyway I've not seen it before. It's just 'the casket that contained the corpse'.

That's reasonable. The English is a little odd since we don't normally use verb phrases to directly modify nouns but as long as the translation is for you and no one else it's fine.
Thanks, I can't recall if I have seen that verb before. I may have used it without knowing.
The translation is just for me. Thanks again

ある or とある make word coming right after it as random thing.
とある王国, the closest translation is "a kingdom" but it is kinda in between "a kingdom" and "the kingdom". It does not specify which kingdom but not just a random one.
It could be close to "Once upon a time there was...." but it could be present or other imagination world.

ある or とある make word coming right after it as random thing.
とある王国, the closest translation is "a kingdom" but it is kinda in between "a kingdom" and "the kingdom". It does not specify which kingdom but not just a random one.
It could be close to "Once upon a time there was...." but it could be present or other imagination world.

We usually construct とあるX as "a certain X" in English. The speaker is always referring to a certain specific X; he just isn't telling the listener which specific X he is talking about.

(Welcome to JREF!)

Back
Top Bottom