What's new

Why does my Japanese translator omits parts of sentences?

ok_vickie

Registered
18 May 2016
Hi, there,
I need to have several articles translates from English into Japanese and I noticed than nearly all of the Japanese translators I asked for help omit some parts of the English text. I cannot figure out whether they just cheat me or whether it is useless to add this information in Japanese (sounds strange, but still). Could you please let me know your thoughts on the matter?
Example:

Source: **Long-tail boats** are usually moored at the beaches and are an amazing addition to the island experience. With these you can cruise between the bays taking in rich scenery, including cliff formations which can only be accessed by a boat or by hiking. Besides that, they are probably the quickest way around the island. Prices are negotiated with the boats' owners, and usually works out quite well if you're in a group.
Translation: **ロングテイルボート**はビーチに停泊しているので借りることができます。湾やビーチを廻ってみることができます。値段はオーナーと交渉ですがグループで借りると安くしてくれます。

Maybe it is just a norm? Thank you guys for help!

Judging by what is there, I'm guessing that they are not native Japanese speakers and that they are leaving things out simply because their Japanese sentence construction skills aren't good enough to handle it.

Thanks, Mike
This one claims to be a native speaker; but maybe you are right and he just does not understand fully the English sentence. Sad(

My feeling is, contrary to what Mike writes, the translater doesn't understand English very well. It reminds me of the movie "Lost in translation"

My feeling is, contrary to what Mike writes, the translater doesn't understand English very well. It reminds me of the movie "Lost in translation"

That is also an equally strong possibility.

At any rate, the translator is incompetent and in over his head.

Back
Top Bottom