What's new

Why do you promote sects?

spyny

後輩
12 Sep 2003
I saw an ad for the church of scientology on the home page.

Are you not aware that it is a lucrative and harmful sect ?

Are you part of it or sponsored by it ?

I don't think you need that much money so that you have to put any kind of ads.

I hope you are responsible for what you show as much as you are for the forum administration.

Simon

Where did you see such an ad. There is no scientology ad whatsoever to the best of my knowledge. First, it's not Japan-related, then I am anti-religious and anti-sects. Could you tell me exactly where you saw that and what the ad looks like (title, etc) ? Was it on the banner-exchange on the top-right (possible as its free and anyone can register, so I should delete it) ?

Could be an ad hi-jack.

Spyny, next time the ad appears, take a screenshot. If you don't know how to take a screenshot, tell us and we'll tell you how. If it is an ad hi-jack, you proba bly have some nasty spyware/trojan/malware installed in your PC, replacing standard ads by the ones who sponsor that kind of software.

This type of thing is as funny as a rectal probe....

lineartube said:
If it is an ad hi-jack, you probably have some nasty spyware/trojan/malware installed in your PC, replacing standard ads by the ones who sponsor that kind of software.
Even if it isn't an ad hi-jack you should get and run a decent anti-spy-ware program once every few months or so.

ad-aware gets mentioned a lot - but it isn't the only free SW available.

id run an anti-spyware program one every week or so.
i reccommed both ad aware and spybot as one cathes things the other doesnt, and you can run them simultaneously. also, always be sure to keep them updated.

Bonjour,

are you telling *me* to run an adaware or to JREF?

I do run ad-aware 6 like everyweek and i've never found anything related to scientology.

I'm not anti-religions, but im anti-what-harms-people, so i reacted immediately.

I took a screenshot of the area where i saw the ad, and i noticed it was marked "Ads by Google". Then I assume that this is an automated system and that you don't supervise it and have a direct control over it.

Still, I swear to God (oops) that I saw the scientology ad, that I clicked on the link and that I was taken to their official website, no joking.

I wouldn't have been surprise if i was on a New Age or "esoteric" website, but come on I was on a Japan related wide audience website.

Maciamo are you also the webmaster of Jref.com?

After all, i might have a spyware on my PC.

Do you know about ctmon.exe ?

Simon

Attachments

• jref_ads_by_google.gif
    jref_ads_by_google.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 380
spyny said:
I took a screenshot of the area where i saw the ad, and i noticed it was marked "Ads by Google". Then I assume that this is an automated system and that you don't supervise it and have a direct control over it.
I assume you mean 'don't have direct control over it'.

Did you click the "Ads by Google" link?

If you did you would see
a) That jref doesn't have any direct control over the ads shown.
b) The ads shown are chosen by Google dependent on the content of the page.
c) That you can send feedback to Google on any / all of the ads shown.

I'm surprised that scientology would come up (which makes the spyware on your computer theory a little more likely) as there is nothing I see relevant on the page.

spyny said:
Btw, what's a malware?
I believe it is mal as in malicious. Malware may not be technically illegal* and may not be spy / adware but it probably does something nasty that you wouldn't want running on your computer.

* Although generally only because law hasn't kept up with the computer industry :p

PaulTB said:
I assume you mean 'don't have direct control over it'.

Did you click the "Ads by Google" link?

If you did you would see
a) That jref doesn't have any direct control over the ads shown.
b) The ads shown are chosen by Google dependent on the content of the page.
c) That you can send feedback to Google on any / all of the ads shown.

I'm surprised that scientology would come up (which makes the spyware on your computer theory a little more likely) as there is nothing I see relevant on the page.

Yes i mean, "you DON'T have a direct control over it".

So it is really possible that such a spyware could replace the ad with the right "design" (font styles, etc)?

The screenshot is one i took today, not the day i saw the ad.

Could sby tell what's the difference between a malware and a ad/spyware?

spyny said:
Maciamo are you also the webmaster of Jref.com?

Yes. Thomas and I are the webmaster. Why, do you know me from another (French) site ?

We do not have control over Google ads, but they should only show ads related to the site's content (i.e. Japan).

Maciamo said:
We do not have control over Google ads, but they should only show ads related to the site's content (i.e. Japan).
Scientology being as it is it wouldn't surprise me if they'd messed with their ad submissions in order to get them to appear in inappropriate places and have (since) had a rap over the knuckles from Google.

Maciamo>> i was just wondering if the webmaster was also the administrator...you work fulltime here then?
I don't think i heard of u in another forum...

PaulTB>> would they could possibly do that? do you mean that scientology could pass through Google's security?

Now i favor the virus possibility, because by updating Norton (which didn't do it automatically, curiously) I found two viruses.

The agents are everywhere! lol

Forgive me, i use so often search engine, that sometimes i fool myself asking people...

spyny said:
PaulTB>> would they could possibly do that? do you mean that scientology could pass through Google's security?
Don't see why not - it's not the security they have to get past.

Google ads are (I believe) initially submitted along with keywords / descriptions used to ensure they are shown with relevant web pages.

e.g. Scientology might have "Religion, Dianetics, Mental wellbeing" and some other rubbish.
If they instead had "Japan, tourism, languages" then bingo they'd be turning up on sites like JRef.

The other possibility is that the recent threads text might have included one with Scientology as its subject and that triggered the ad's selection.

since you people are all talking about scientology in here, guess what happens to the google bar near the end of the thread? ^_^ <(-.-<)

Back
Top Bottom