What's new

Why do people who don't like anime think it stops at Dragonball Z and Pokemon

jeremy briggs

先輩
26 Jan 2004
Why do people how don't like anime think it stops at Dragonball Z and Pokemon

Why do people how don't like anome think it stops at Dragonball Z and Pokemon. I mean i like DBZ but its not even close to my top ten favorite list. Mabye you guys and girls can answer this Question, cause it make me mad when people sell anime short like that.

I would say because they are the most visible anime in the states, at least. Most people know nothing about Kenshin, Evangelion, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, etc., because they aren't the big craze like the two that you mentioned are. I hate when people say things to me like, "you like Yuu Gi Oh, right?" and then point to the Kenshin on the shelf. Yeah, like they're the same thing. Anyway, most people here associate anime with the abovementioned shows, and animation in general with kiddie shows (although I suppose The Simpsons and Family Guy are changing that a bit, I hope).

I liked pokemon when I was little, it was like crack for kids, and DBZ was ok but you dident see me going nuts for it.

Now I go for more mature and...adult(heh) anime, throwing balls at animals and fighting a super speeds dont apeal to me anymore.

Besides, those are old shows anyways, I like new stuff

I much rather watch DBZ than most anime! It's so simple and easy to get into the story... but yet... interesting enough for someone looking for a story like a book filled with chapters. Also, it's much easier to show on television compared to most of the anime out there. No parent wants their kid watching tentacles violating girls or guys heads splattering everywhere with lots of blood... Pokemon and DBZ are just easier to sell to audiences...

because thats all they know.
if they are not interested, why and how would they know more than the mainstream, cartoon network shows?

because access to the real stuff is actually quite limited and has to be imported here
otherwise its just a couple of little things on TV

Thats why we must educate the ignorant!!!!!!

[Holds up sign that reads] Find different type of anime then dragon ball and pokemon you nut!

And thanks for reference to escaflowne glenn, people be missing it. Its not really limited nowadays, use to be but not now, you can go to like borders bookstore and they have all types of anime. ITs just people see that all the time everywhere and just watch those. Anime needs more.....commercials you could say or just put out more. I always tell people bout different kinds of anime and get them watching and hooked!

Most anime I can't seem to get into... just don't enjoy it... I tried Naruto or however you spell it a few months ago... watched episode one... I was bored. I really enjoyed Season 1 and 2 of Slayers and Seasons 1-3 of Ranma... all the seasons after that were didn't grab my attention... oh, and record of lodoss war was cool for seasons 1 and 2...

well,anime gets lots of advertisment in japan since its popular,and i could say that in the whole world,only japan ppl tends to appreciate anime better...and whats wrong with anime being childish ppl say?

I think you just answered your own question. Those people simply don't have that good of an appreciation of anime and manga, IMHO.
:eek:

The whole marketing really lets people who arent interested in anime know of at least DBZ and Pokemon.

But this is why I love living in the SF bay area. For years a public access station showed anime that was, for the time, new. They showed Sakura Taisen, Uresai Yatsura, Please Save My Earth, Key, and for a bit even Ranma.

They've showed some greats. I remember also, that Sci Fi used to have anime festivals years ago, before it REALLY took off in mainstream.

Ah, that's what happens in my middle school. I helped start an anime club there recently, and I can't tell you how many people asked if we were just going to sit around and watch Pokemon. (We had our first meeting last Thursday, and we watched Speed Racer and Rurouni Kenshin.) I can say that word about the meeting spread, and hopefully, it's going to open some people's eyes to the world of anime.

Lots of people annoy me like that, but then I annoy them back by saying some of my favorite quotes from anime in japanese... muwaha. :devilish:

Idiot: Hey, look, it's Ms. Japanimation! (one of my many nicknames)
Me: Anata baka?! (thank you, Asuka)
Idiot: Wha-?
Me: BAKA!

Ha ha, it's great fun. If they annoy you, ignore them.

I had this happen to me soo many times...

In class I was drawing random anime characters and they asked if it was Yu-gi-oh...what?

Then they start asking me if I like pokemon. I simply tell them that those are the crappy anime shows....

it annoys me though.. ツャ_ツャ

Originally posted by ayanami_rei
...Lots of people annoy me like that, but then I annoy them back by saying some of my favorite quotes from anime in japanese... muwaha. :devilish:

Idiot: Hey, look, it's Ms. Japanimation! (one of my many nicknames)
Me: Anata baka?! (thank you, Asuka)
Idiot: Wha-?
Me: BAKA!

You know whats even funner? Having the hutzpuh to put them down in English. No offense, but its a lot more satisfactory, to me at least.

Maybe because they don't know what anime actually is and they just keep seing this 2 animes advertised on tv..

Originally posted by caitcid
I had this happen to me soo many times...

In class I was drawing random anime characters and they asked if it was Yu-gi-oh...what?

Then they start asking me if I like pokemon. I simply tell them that those are the crappy anime shows....

it annoys me though.. ツャ_ツャ

i draw stuff too
then its either gundam if it is machine
or it DBZ if its a person
and yet they can see clearly that i am drawing a girl or a mortar head

Many people see anime has being something made for kids (damn Pokemon and DBZ). They may watch a few episodes, but they will get bored and say 'What's the point? Its the same thing over and over.'

People who judge anime by Pokemon and DBZ need to be shown non-mainstream animes. My older brother (a country guy like myself) always thought all anime was like Pokemon or DBZ. That was until I showed him Street Fighter: The Movie and Wrath of The Ninja. That changed his tune, but I wouldn't call him a fan yet. Like most people he just needed to see the better side of anime.

Back
Top Bottom