What's new

why do JP people reply msg so slooooooow ?

Harry Rosen

後輩
25 Jul 2016
Hi guys,
Do u have the same problem ?
Why JP people reply msg so slow ?
it makes me feel like I sent an email to some offices , and need to wait business days to get a reply.
I know they are busy, but how can it be that busy ? they don't take breaks for lunch ? I am wondering .
Any good ideas , thanks in advance. :)

It takes them longer than you to read and understand the message.
Then, it takes a group effort to decide what the response can be.
Then, they need far more time than you to compose the correct words in response.

It boils down to poor language ability and a different culture within business.

Then, they need far more time than you to compose the correct words in response.

Is it just guess? or you have interviewed some people ?

Hi guys,
Do u have the same problem ?
Why JP people reply msg so slow ?
it makes me feel like I sent an email to some offices , and need to wait business days to get a reply.
I know they are busy, but how can it be that busy ? they don't take breaks for lunch ? I am wondering .
Any good ideas , thanks in advance. :)

What language are you writing them in?

oh, in English. But just some baby English . some simple sentences . I usually saw people off line suddenly when chatting , like being taken by UFOs ,after 3 days ,they came back from Mars.

Write them in Japanese.

Or write them in grammatical English.

If English weren't my native language, I would have trouble understanding your normal ungrammatical English. And even if my English weren't very good, I could probably spot it when somebody wrote me in "baby English" and would find it insulting.

oh, in English. But just some baby English . some simple sentences . I usually saw people off line suddenly when chatting , like being taken by UFOs ,after 3 days ,they came back from Mars.
I agree with Mike-san. Send a message in Japanese and compare the difference from the English case.

あるいは、逆の場合を考えてみてはどうですか?さほど難しくないとはいえ日本語でメッセージが送られてきた場合、ご自身は英語と同じようにすぐ日本語で返信できるとお思いになります?

I feel your pain. I had dealings with some very high English level prospective students- never told me they were high level, who have absolutely no trouble expressing themselves in English but still fail to tell anything relevant to teaching them. Before meeting them for a trial lesson, all I know that they want (simple) conversational lesson- not true actually want either an adult textbook driven lesson or particular handling of going overseas and dealing with native English teachers. A lot of Japanese are just rude.

I feel your pain. I had dealings with some very high English level prospective students- never told me they were high level, who have absolutely no trouble expressing themselves in English but still fail to tell anything relevant to teaching them. Before meeting them for a trial lesson, all I know that they want (simple) conversational lesson- not true actually want either an adult textbook driven lesson or particular handling of going overseas and dealing with native English teachers. A lot of Japanese are just rude.

This reads to me like the real problem was that they assumed you were a native speaker, immediately and completely lost interest when they found out you're not, and you resent them for it. How did you get set up with them to begin with?

This reads to me like the real problem was that they assumed you were a native speaker, immediately and completely lost interest when they found out you're not, and you resent them for it. How did you get set up with them to begin with?
I am a native speaker but it obviously doesn't matter because you are totally cynic. They wanted me to read their minds. One was set up through an agency and the other contacted me directly using a teacher search website. I teach two groups at the moment. They are all happy.

Yes, I agree with Glenski, 100%
When I did the Penpal thing, my friend said something like Glenski said. If I recall they said something like this. but my will be in bullet points
1) I have to read it in English
2) translate it into Japanese to understand it
3) understand what you mean and the meaning of some words
4) write in Japanese
5) translate from Japanese to English
6) double check their wording
7) send out the e-mail.
doing all this for them take a good 2 weeks, depending on the person. Also remember they have personal stuff to do in the real world.

If you really want to help out your Penpal friend, I would Strongly, Strongly recommend doing one of the following.
1) when you write in English, translate it into Japanese and post the Japanese one at the bottom. Label English version for English and Japanese version for Japanese and tell them where you got your translation from like google translator so they can go there to double check.
2) you can write every other e-mail in Japanese. example, if you sent out an e-mail his week in English, write the following e-mail is in Japanese.
I have many reason why would should do this, but the main reason I would say is to show them you care. trust me, you will see how stressful it is for them when doing this.

when you write in English, translate it into Japanese and post the Japanese one at the bottom.
Only if you can translate clearly. DON'T rely on translation software! Take it from an English teacher -- it doesn't work very well.

Only if you can translate clearly. DON'T rely on translation software! Take it from an English teacher -- it doesn't work very well.

And if handing people the target text and an accompanying translation on a platter was worth a damn for anything then NHK educational shows would have had the whole problem solved decades ago.

And if handing people the target text and an accompanying translation on a platter was worth a damn for anything then NHK educational shows would have had the whole problem solved decades ago.

You are little bit ambiguous. Can you elaborate a bit? Since it sounds a bit interesting.

You are little bit ambiguous. Can you elaborate a bit? Since it sounds a bit interesting.

Just watch any foreign language education program on NHK-E after you get here. You might want to tap the sheetrock and mark the studs beforehand. Your mother would never forgive me for the concussion you'll suffer if you hit a stud while banging your head against the wall.

Back
Top Bottom