What's new

Why are so many Japanese interested in the ISIS?

TheProphet

後輩
18 Mar 2016
I have already noted that many Japanese travel to the IS to join them. Meanwhile the CIA already goes out from 50 people. Again: Today a Japanese was discovered again on the border of Turkey who wanted to join to the IS. Does it lie in the fantastic story / portrayal of the IS? Maybe they want to flee from their daily hard work and need some adventure. What do you think?

CeOrCeuUUAAWkyM.jpg

I thought Islam was so really unknown in Japan. How does something like that happen?

I haven't seen any reports of this. I also searched for the Turkey border incident you mentioned and I see no mention of it. Can you provide a link?

A well-known and neutral journalist/reporter named Abdullah Bozkurt posted the incident on his twitter account. This incident happend today/yesterday on the Turkey-Syrian border near the city Gaziantep.

Check his post out:

Here is a translated article about the incident: Turkey detains Japanese 'seeking to join IS' in Syria

[...] It said he was detained during a routine check by the Turkish gendarmerie while being driven towards the border settlement of Karkamis.
The official Anatolia news agency said police had confirmed his contacts with jihadists by examining messages on his mobile phone. [...]

One report doesn't support your contention that "that many Japanese travel to the IS to join them." Even the article said it was "highly unusual." Every country has people who are mentally disturbed or at least susceptible to such things. There doesn't seem to be enough of this happening to generalize the reasons.

I found a Japanese mention of this incident but it just repeats info from the international wire report. I'm sure eventually they'll figure out who is he is and report on his motivations.
IS参加図った邦人拘束 トルコ(2016年3月23日(水)掲載) - Yahoo!ニュース

I am interested in complicated conflicts very much. And I study this conflict already for many years. And I have seen many pictures and publications of IS that already a huge number of them is there. Around 50 cases have been confirmed by the CIA with the help of publications of the IS. The Japanese government itself shows no interest how many people have not returned to Japan. So the unreported number can be several times higher than supposed.

"Every country has people who are mentally disturbed or at least susceptible to such things. There doesn't seem to be enough of this happening to generalize the reasons."

Yes, this is right of course. But not from Japan. The Japanese have quite an other mentality, than to move solely for same reason to Syria, like thousands of Europeans. You cannot tell this to me. I find the developments, moreover, interesting..

右翼維新

Because the japanese gov does not verify how much foreign fighters did not return to Japan.

Here some articles about suspected japanese joiners (found 4 hits in 2 mins):

Kamikaze Isis: Nine Japanese 'Joined Islamic State' Claims Israel Sep. 2014

Japanese reporter joins al Qaeda in Syria, jihadist claims | The Long War Journal (reporter and his friend) Oct. 2013

Cracking down on Foreign Fighters - Islamic State Threat - News - NHK WORLD - English (October 7 2014)

Japanese jihadists recruited to fight with Isis | Asia | News | The Independent (Oct. 31 2014)

"Every country has people who are mentally disturbed or at least susceptible to such things. There doesn't seem to be enough of this happening to generalize the reasons."

Yes, this is right of course. But not from Japan. The Japanese have quite an other mentality, than to move solely for same reason to Syria, like thousands of Europeans. You cannot tell this to me. I find the developments, moreover, interesting..

右翼維新

What makes you think Japanese people are different?

Every developed country has disaffected people and disturbed people who make choices like this.

Japanese people are just people like anyone else.

Because the japanese gov does not verify how much foreign fighters did not return to Japan.
That particular source doesn't rely on government data. They claim to use multiple sources including jihadist ones. I don't doubt that a handful or even dozens have gone tho.

Not sure I agree with your premise that the Japanese that go there are that much different from others. But of course I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom