What's new

why are so many Chinese people visiting Tokyo?

Charbel

Registered
14 Feb 2016
I made a project while living in Tokyo, about the recent influx of Chinese tourists to Tokyo. A small team of us went out and conducted street interviews, we got some very interesting answers.

If this interests you have a look at the video, and I'd love to know what people think.

Thanks!!!

Very interesting! So according to them Japanese lifestyle is faster, but Japanese seem unhappier.

Thanks for sharing!

Interesting. A lot do come to shop, and they do find, 1st hand, that it is not always as portrayed back home. The change in VISA requirements is a large driver, and if the restrictions were not so difficult, there would be many more Chinese tourists.

I would be interested in a wider cross-section of people - more older Chinese - to find if the attitudes differ.

Thanks for your sharing. As a Taiwanese citizen, I thought your project is quite interesting because people from Taiwan have exactly the same opinions with Chinese people in some points, such as transportation, daily regulation, manners, good sanitary....

I just came from Japan two days ago. It is also true that lots of people from South Eastern Asian, especially Chinese people, spent there new year vacation there. Some famous spots like Sensoji (Asakusa Temple), Tokyo Skytree, department stores in Shinjuku...etc are crowded with foreigners like me. FIY, if your were traveling with parents, it might be good to rent a car crossing the suburban area like Mt. Fuji in Shizuoka Pref., Atami, Yugawara and Enoshima.

The "spotting" of Chinese people in foreign countries/cities is a much wider phenomenon in my opinion. You can easily see the difference compared to maybe 5 or 10 years ago. I see them even in the countryside with tours. I think it is foremost a result of economic development. More and more middle class Chinese make enough money to go on a holiday every now and then.

And to add: there are many Chinese students enrolled in foreign universities as well. 20% of the world population, and they are quite spread out :)

I've been traveling Asia and in every country so far, South Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, and India, I've seen Chinese tourists.

I've been traveling Asia and in every country so far, South Korea, Vietnam, Thailand, and India, I've seen Chinese tourists.

Thank you for mentioning your travels. I've noticed the flag changing on your posts and was just about to ask @thomas if there was a glitch in the forum software.

Thank you for mentioning your travels. I've noticed the flag changing on your posts and was just about to ask @thomas if there was a glitch in the forum software.
The glitch is entirely with me! ;)

My mother is ailing, so I wanted to give her something and a trip around Asia seemed to fit the bill.

The more I travel the more I appreciate what kind of home Japan provides.

Last June, Japan became the #1 most visited country by tourists. If I recall, the article said that it was mainly because so many Chinese now had the money to travel. I would guess that the tourist numbers for many countries has increased significantly over the last few years. It's not that strange to think that Japan would receive most of them. When you think about the number-one place to visit in Asia, Japan seems like a no-brainer.

Back
Top Bottom