What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Help Why は and not が?

Vulcan879

Kouhai
Reaction score
I signed up for Lang-8, and on the site wrote a sentence I hazily remembered from Pimsleur,
'にほんごがすこしわかります。' A user corrected me with 'にほんごは、すこしわかります。' I'd like to know why he changed the particle が into は.

(I'm asking here in case he can't respond.)

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Both are correct, and it depends on the context which one should be used. は works as the contrastive marker there, so it connotes, for instance, "(I understand Japanese a little, but) I don't understand Chinese at all, I understand French very well, etc." Thus, if you just want to say "I understand Japanese a little" without any connotation for instance in your self-introduction, が is more appropriate, but if you say this after "I'm good at Spanish", は is more natural.

Denisel

Kouhai
Reaction score
I am puzzled too. I thought the sentence has meaning conerned wtih human attributes and "が should be used. Please let me know the answer when he responds.

Denisel

Kouhai
Reaction score
Both are correct, and it depends on the context which one should be used. は works as the contrastive marker there, so it connotes, for instance, "(I understand Japanese a little, but) I don't understand Chinese at all, I understand French very well, etc." Thus, if you just want to say "I understand Japanese a little" without any connotation for instance in your self-introduction, が is more appropriate, but if you say this after "I'm good at Spanish", は is more natural.
Happy to see your explanation!

Reaction score
Understanding the difference between は and が may prove to be one of the most difficult subjects in studying Japanese. Especially in the beginning. Here is slideshow, which i used to refer to whenever a doubt arose wavsga .

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
Understanding the difference between は and が may prove to be one of the most difficult subjects in studying Japanese

One of the most maddening things is to be watching a television show which has both text on the screen and a narrator....and the narrator's script includes the exact sentence which is on the screen, except one is は and the other is が.

Reaction score
One of the most maddening things is to be watching a television show which has both text on the screen and a narrator....and the narrator's script includes the exact sentence which is on the screen, except one is は and the other is が.
Which makes a point of Japanese themselves lacking consensus on which particle to use, every now and then.

Vulcan879

Kouhai
Reaction score

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Well, it's an explanation about the emphatic sentence construction in English grammar... I wouldn't trust posters who reply to Japanese learners with the site only in Japanese (and the site is in fact useless...)

Vulcan879

Kouhai
Reaction score
Well, it's an explanation about the emphatic sentence construction in English grammar... I wouldn't trust posters who reply to Japanese learners with the site only in Japanese (and the site is in fact useless...)
Okay, thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom