What's new

Who will help me to make learning Japanese easier?

dairwolf

後輩
26 May 2009
One of the biggest problems when learning japanese is the particles. There is no learning material that precisely lists the verbs with its specific particles. Yes, there ARE dictionary that have example sentences, but this is bad because of two reasons: 1. They are often very long and there are kanji you can´t read yet. 2. The verb you are looking for is not used in the way that you want it to be used, so it´s no use reading the sentence. I´ll give some examples: ゲームで遊ぶ but サッカーをする、カラオケで歌を歌う、宿題を急いですand NOT 宿題を急ぐ. What i´m looking for is some native Japanese speakers who will help me with creating a list that plainly lists the verbs with their particles, so that as a foreigner who wants to learn Japanese or as a Japanese that wants to learn english, it is all made MUCH easier! Those "rules" that there are (e.g. that へ
describes a direction and that をdenotesthe accusative object) just don´t apply in so many cases, and with other languages that which i want to do has already been done (you can look up in any dictionary that is has to be "i´m looking FOR someone" and not "i´mlooking AFTER; that would be the German language logic directly applied to English.) So, will anyone PLEASe help me? :)

P.S.: I hope i posted this in he somewhat right topic area!

I think it'll be hard, because sometimes verbs take different particles. I'm not an expert in Japanese, but compare these two sentences:

「Charlie Brown」という映画を見ました。
「Charlie Brown」が見ました。

The first is saying, "I saw a movie called "Charlie Brown".
The second is saying, "I saw Charlie Brown", in a response perhaps to 何見ましたか?

This isn't what you want at all, but it's helped me. Japanese particles - Wikipedia Japanese verb conjugation - Wikipedia .

I also took German for a bit. Jedermann sind geschlafen.

I think it'll be hard, because sometimes verbs take different particles. I'm not an expert in Japanese, but compare these two sentences:

「Charlie Brown」という映画を見ました。
「Charlie Brown」が見ました。

The first is saying, "I saw a movie called "Charlie Brown".
The second is saying, "I saw Charlie Brown", in a response perhaps to 何見ましたか?

This isn't what you want at all, but it's helped me. Japanese particles - Wikipedia Japanese verb conjugation - Wikipedia .

I also took German for a bit. Jedermann sind geschlafen.

Actually Charlie Brownが見ました、 is saying that Charlie Brown saw "something". Charlie Brownを見ました。 is I saw Charlie Brown. Since 見る is a transitive verb, and therefore takes を。

In response to the OP, the "A Dictionary of Japanese Grammar" series by Seiichi Makino is very good. It is almost too thorough in it's analysis of grammar sometimes though, and can get pretty complex, but it is written in English and is for non-native Japanese language learners.

And there you go, I made a mistake! Sorry, disregard that sentence I made, I'll delete it out so it's not in your mind. Left rep for you, chidoriashi.

And there you go, I made a mistake! Sorry, disregard that sentence I made, I'll delete it out so it's not in your mind. Left rep for you, chidoriashi.
No worries, particles are hard man. There is a lot I don't really get, but just kind of roll with because that's "the way it is". I sometimes feel the don't question it, just remember it method was best for me to not get the urge to throw my pencil across the room.:) Anyways, I think the OP has a good idea, but he is certainly undertaking a lot of work for himself.

Oh, you're definitely right, I tend to roll with it unless I just really don't understand it (which has been the case for a while, haha). You brought up a great point though, there are a lot of particle interchanges...

In this case, rare as it may be...
74414660-1.jpg

But what would you say to the difference between ~を食べました and ~が食べました?

I would say it is the same as が見ました。 Like if you say ライオンが食べました。 It is saying the lion ate something. Whereas if you were to say ライオンを食べました。 it is like I or we ate a lion/lion. I think i know what you are hitting at here, there seems to be times when が is used instead of を or either is ok, but if you google ~が食べました nothing really comes up.

I was actually trying to come up where there are different particles, and I can't come up with any! The examples the OP posted are alien to me and I have never seen them. Thanks for the help!

Yes, there ARE dictionary that have example sentences, but this is bad because of two reasons: 1. They are often very long and there are kanji you can´t read yet. 2. The verb you are looking for is not used in the way that you want it to be used, so it´s no use reading the sentence. I´ll give some examples: ゲームで遊ぶ but サッカーをする、カラオケで歌を歌う、宿題を急いですand NOT 宿題を急ぐ.

What you really need is a good JP-EN dictionary (ideally one aimed at learners) with decent sentences.

For example:
http://dic.yahoo.co.jp/dsearch?enc=U...type=0&dtype=3
- all the example sentences here are quite short and have English translations.
おもちゃで遊ぶ
子供たちは野原で楽しく遊んだ
illustrate two different uses of で with this verb (both pretty standard uses of で)
and sentences like this show other patterns:
隠れん坊をして遊ぶ
(not 隠れん坊を遊ぶ)

Your example in English doesn't really work because, say, "I'm looking for someone" and "I'm looking after someone" are both grammatically correct, but with different meanings, and some other things could go in there (I looked for him, I looked after him, I looked at him, I looked up to him, I looked past him, etc).

Similarly in Japanese you can have things like ある所に歩く、ある所で歩く、ある所を歩く、ある所ま で歩く、ある所から歩く

Some of your Japanese examples have mistakes, e.g.:
宿題を急いです (no problem, I think)
宿題を急ぐ - the problem here is not that を doesn't go with 急ぐ , because it can, but more I think that "XXを急ぐ" usually has some sort of target/goal in XX, and "homework" by itself isn't a target. It's the same as in English, you can say "hurry completion" (of the project) but not "hurry project" by itself.

If particles themselves are something you have trouble with, there are specific books on the topic. A Dictionary of Japanese Particles by Sue Kawashima is quite good.

Back
Top Bottom