What's new

White Day

Ewok85

先輩
14 Nov 2003
Gahhh! Why didn't you guys remind me? :(

Just watched a rather funny scene where the one female in my group got a little present from all the guys, at first just a little gift then one by one they piled up.

For those of you who don't know Valentines Day in Japan is girls giving to guys. White Day is when they return the favor and give things back to the girls. I for one am going to have to fight my way to the front of a line and get something decent for my friend.

For those of you here, do you recognise and do anything for this highly suspicous commercial holiday?

Yes sir! (and thank you to remind us! ;-) Fortunately your country is around 12 hours before us, so I still have time to go and buy something) But I've always offered white chocolates to my wife that day. I thought that it was the only thing that could (well, customy speaking) be given to women that day (and that was why it was called "white day")...

lol @ Frank! :D

I like the idea of White Day, I wish I had a day for the guys have to give me presents... :)

No, I didn't know it was white day till just a couple hours ago when the office girls offered me a chou-cream that my boss had bought for them. My wife has learned that I'm doing very well if I remember her birthday, as I forget all the anniverseries and other special days. That's ok, she also doesn't buy me Valentines chocolates or other stuff.

I send my wife a small message, next year I will buy her some chocolate ....

it was her birthday yesterday!!! come one, 2 presents!!! she wish

Hmm I never really liked the White Day. I like the 'normal' way better because it puts the man and woman in an equal position. In Japan woman take initiative and men can 'lazily' react on this. Its not that I find it a problem but I give my girl something on Valentinesday. I dont give her chocolate but I try to be original. Last year I gave her a slip! I dont think its a habit in Japan but she just loved it ^_^

Yeah, guys tend to shirk out on their duties when it comes to White Day. This is why I'm very happy to have a girlfriend not a boyfriend, it takes care of this little problem! :)

Most "suspiciously commercial holidays" don't get much of a response from me as far as buying things go, and White Day, being completely based on marketing, goes along with that. The push behind Valentine's Day/White Day is one of the worst, especially in Japan. I agree with Rikkaido that it's better when it's on equal terms, more like a Christmas style of gift giving, but I can understand the companies' desires to have multiple days of frenzied shopping.

I've always thought it's better to put aside personal time for people on special days...birthdays, mother's/father's day, etc etc. I'd rather make sure someone has fun than worry about what kind of chocolate I should buy.

Personally, I like the name "Marshmallow Day" (how this white day used to be called) better, not that it matters to me but it sounds funnier.
MeAndroo said:
I'd rather make sure someone has fun than worry about what kind of chocolate I should buy.
I agree precisely.

Too bad, Ewok-san! I would have reminded the people here at JREF if I remembered but my husband and I work from home and are totally unaware of such "marketing" days!!

White Day reminded me of a news report I saw on TV the other day on the Korean response to Valentine and White days. What they do is based on what the Japanese began (girls sending chocos to boys on V-day and getting things of better value on W-day...😊 )

But, they seem to have gone further than that! You can find it in the blog written by an English teacher in Korea:
Happy Valentine's Day

UH OH...I didn't think about mentioning anything about it. Sorry Ewok san !!

I never forget these little niceties, regardless of how 'real' they were or are. Yes, I spent about 14000 yen on some of the finer chocolates for my students and the ladies in the office at the uni, and for the little lady at home. (even though I had recieved nothing from her at Valentines)

I personally would vouch for the one Valentines Day, like Rickkaido, and do agree that there should be more than just what is given...although I do make sure that the way I give these little 'thoughts' to others highlights the event.

👍 :valentine :valentine :valentine :)

I didn't give anything to my girl for white day, but the friends and workmates who gave me something on Valentines got something in return.

Who saw London Hearts last night? That guy had a shocking white day :p

Last edited:
Pfft, I got some 'text message' chocolates, lots of excuses and a phone call at 1am.... However I did get an early birthday or late white day present of some Swiss chocolate! Yum! Also we had a HUGE bowl of candy staring at me all day... im not usually the type to like candy.
Lets see what I get today :D

I sent off my white-day gift already and my girlfriend has long since got it.

I like the set-up, guys are crap at remembering dates, so this gives you a whole month to be ready. :p

Otherwise i hate remembering dates, i have to make an effort to remember my girlfriends birthday.

I dunno why i hate these set dates of giving presents and stuff, why does being nice require a set date? its the same with mothers and fathers day, its so annoying, i love my mum and dad but ***, why cant i just be nice to them when i wish to instead of this false artificial set date for it.

Then theres christmas' and birthdays and ahhh bugger it i hate present giving dates....i never get presents anyway, i get feck all for my birthday and getting a card for christmas is the most i can hope for.

Back
Top Bottom