I would like to say...
I can't understand what you are saying?
using the adverb まるで
I came up with: 私はその言うのがまるで分かりません.
First, is this understandable?
and second, is the use of 言うの OK or should it be 言うこと
よろしくお願いします

1. Is this understandable? Barely
2. is the use of 言うの OK? No, this is what is rendering it somewhat incomprehensible. 言っていること would be better.
3. Drop the 私は. Its understood from the context. Add in the "you" somewhere, because "what you are saying" is the object of the sentence, and, even though that might also be inferred from the context, you wouldn't want to drop both the subject and a crucial bit of the object. A rule of thumb is that you can typically drop the "I" at the beginning of the sentences if/when it is obvious you are referring to yourself.

In addition, when used with 分かる, 言っているの refers to the action "you are saying something", so 言っているのが分かる means "I can see/hear/feel that you are saying something".

1. Is this understandable? Barely
2. is the use of 言うの OK? No, this is what is rendering it somewhat incomprehensible. 言っていること would be better.
3. Drop the 私は. Its understood from the context. Add in the "you" somewhere, because "what you are saying" is the object of the sentence, and, even though that might also be inferred from the context, you wouldn't want to drop both the subject and a crucial bit of the object. A rule of thumb is that you can typically drop the "I" at the beginning of the sentences if/when it is obvious you are referring to yourself.
Thanks majestic san.
あなたの言っていることがまるで分かりません.

Perfect!👍
(Incidentally, unlike が, あなたの言っていることまるでわかりません has a nuance of "What you are saying doesn't make sense at all", i.e., the problem is on you, and not on me, something like "Non sense!".)

Perfect!👍
(Incidentally, unlike が, あなたの言っていることまるでわかりません has a nuance of "What you are saying doesn't make sense at all", i.e., the problem is on you, and not on me, something like "Non sense!".)
Thats not really what I want to say. I want to say that it is "I" that doesn't understand. If I used
私には あなたの言っていることはまるでわかりません。
would that be emphasising that the problem was with me?

Yes, it can work.
If you want to convey the meaning more politely, I wouldn't use those direct expressions. Instead, I would say something like すいません、よくわからないのですが。

Yet another way of saying it could be 何を言っているかわからない. But yes, for real-life polite conversation, use Toritoribe's last suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom