What's new

Which j-rock band?

CompreteIriot

後輩
18 Apr 2006
Trying (struggling) to learn japanese and wanted to listen to some japanese music (just to hear more words, help to get a little more into the mindset, etc). What good bands are out there?

Good question!

Dunno really - metallica, linkin park, presidents of the USA, audioslave... or underworld, lemon jelly, Charlie Parker, even Robbie Williams... depends on the mood - have all kinds of **** on the player at the moment 😄

For this I just want something that's not tat where I can hear some of the lyrics, the style doesn't matter too much.

Wow! Someone else who likes Lemon Jelly! 😄
Anyway... to Japanese music. :)
My recommendations would be........
MUCC
Dir en grey
D'espairsRay
Aikaryu
Deathgaze
Lynch
Kagerou
D
Penicillin
Aushvitz
Duel Jewel
Gazette
Guitar Wolf
The Back Horn
Moll'e Node
The Zolge
Vidoll
Schwarz Stein
Naiad
Rentrer en Soi
Scissor
SID
Malice Mizer
Kagrra
Kozi

.............. ummm, I think that'll do for now! 😌

EDIT: for hearing the lyrics, I'd recommend you try SID, Gazette, The Back Horn, Gackt, D, Hyde, L'arc~en~ciel, Utada Hikaru, Asian Kung Fu Generation, Psycho le Cemu, B'z, Glay and Lareine. Sorry, I didn't take on board that main part of your post earlier! :sorry:

Jesus chick, thanks for all the names! I'll google a few of em tonight.

Lemon Jelly's ace. Neeeeeeeeeeeervous tension.

LINKIN' PARK is great~!!!!!!!!!!!!
((HEY,,here is j pop forum,,

i think,,,
DIR EN GREY,(for me,,the feeling just like linkin park~^^)
L'ARC EN CIEL!!(cuz i love HYDE~><)
AN CAFE(but,,the song maybe too fast for u to learn japanese)
X JAPAN(their songs are great~!!!!!!!)

hope u can learn japanese from their songs~^^

((AND,,forgive my poor english...

L'Arc~en~Ciel is good if your goal is to understand the lyrics (and of course enjoy the music you're listening to). SID is good for that too, I think.

wow, i haven't been here for soo damn long... the Vk-ness is still around.

Dir en grey is love forever.

Dir en Grey is not like Linkin Park :?

I wouldn't suggest Dir en Grey if you want to understand what is being sung, however, Dir is a great band though. They will ALWAYS be number one on my list.

PIERROT
Merii
Kuroyume
Plastic Tree
Rentrer en Soi
D'espairs Ray
Alice Nine
Gazette
hide
BUCK-TICK
Kozi
and Tetsu69 are great bands too

Last edited:
I Suggest

X-Japan
Rentrer en Soi
La'Mule
Vidoll
Dir en grey
Gazette
Phantasmagoria
Shulla
hide and hide w/spread beaver

I didn't include zilch with hide because zilch sings in all english and you want japanese lyrics.

hm..Miyavi, Malice Mizer, Dir en Grey, Larc en Ciel, Gackt..yeah...I don't know..I'm just namin a few cause I'm kick *** like that...LOL

Just my two yen for what I like in J-rock/pop:

Siam Shade: Long gone but still greatly admired by fans & even pro musicians in Japan

Def Tech: Japanese-English bilingual rappers gaining popularity in Japan
Their big hit since last year:

Their recent release:

BTW, I was an X Japan fan, too--like Prime Minister Koizumi...😊 Basically, I go for good lyrics, so they might not "click" for some of you... 😌

窶堙??堋、窶堙?ツ 窶堋?窶堙ィ窶堋ェ窶堙??堋、ツ 窶堋イ窶堋エ窶堋「窶堙懌?堋キ

I checked out Dir en grey, X Japan and L'Arc en Ciel via <cough> l*mew*re last night - will pull more stuff tonight.

epigene said:
Just my two yen for what I like in J-rock/pop:
Siam Shade: Long gone but still greatly admired by fans & even pro musicians in Japan

Def Tech: Japanese-English bilingual rappers gaining popularity in Japan
Their big hit since last year:

Their recent release:

BTW, I was an X Japan fan, too--like Prime Minister Koizumi...😊 Basically, I go for good lyrics, so they might not "click" for some of you... 😌

Clicked for me. :) But yes, their lyrics are..well emotional I guess. Lyrics you can refer to. A good band to learn japanese from. Also try :
Luna Sea
Plastic Tree
Pierrot (or Solo Kirito)
LAREINE
Klaha
Gackt (tho I don't like him)
Solo Toshi
Dope Headz
Solo hide

I don't listen to them, but if you want jpop groups, try:
Kinki Kids
W-inds
Utada Hikaru

They are quite clear-sounding bands/artists, whereas the likes of Dir en grey, Gazette etc, mix alot.

Hope I was a help. :)

To be honest half the stuff I heard last night sounded like a bad clash between bloc party and some pop 80s band (no offence to anyone intended). I'll get much much more over the weekend.

What's wrong with the 80s yo? j/k

What the crap did you listen to, lol. You probably listened to old school all of them. If you don't want "80s" sounding stuff, make sure you're listening to the later albums from the artists. Such as X-Japan's Dahlia, L'Arc~en~Ciel's AWAKE or SMILE (though smile has some 80s pop bloc party sounding stuff on it to me), or Dir en grey's Withering to Death, Vulgar, or Six Ugly (though Dir en grey is TERRIBLE if you're trying to actually understand the lyrics). If it sounds 80s-ish, it might just be from the 80s/90s.

Are you sure you want to go from "hearing lyrics" or do you want to go for sound. If you're down with a little screaming/incomprehensible lyrics (not totally though), but really good music, then I'd recommend you get D'espairsRay's coll:set album. I can pm you some stuff I think you'd like, if you would like me to.

80's pop far better than nowadays pop. Least you actually had talented people back then. I downloaded some Beatles of Limewire the other day, just to see what they were like. Far better than the 'pop' bands nowadays.

Then again...They aren't exactly pop, I guess.

I love The Beatles! Their music is cool! 👍

@ CompreteIriot: If you were listening to Dir en grey, well their music is pretty diverse. Listening to the 'wrong' song by them can put you off right away. But because everyone has really different tastes, it's hard to recommend songs by them! >< ... I also agree with what has been said, that Dir en grey are not exactly easy to hear the lyrics. ><

And yes, Coll:Set rocks! :p

Umm yeah, good point Sunsweet... some j-rock is actually 80s! lol... 😊

Oh, and I'm also happy to pm you examples from any of the bands I mentioned. (I'm going to be away for a couple of weeks after this weekend though, so you either look snappy or wait awhile! :p )

I'm 35 - I listened to 80s music in the 80s! lol

Nah - I've only heard a few tracks so far. You've all given me a shitload of names to try, I'll keep checking em out until I find something I like. Many thanks to you all.

Sunsweet - dunno to be honest... I just like good music and wanted something japanese to keep my brain in jap mode when I wasn't listening to lessons on the MP3 player if that makes sense. Didn't want to translate exactly, just to kind of ... absorb.

Anyone feel free to PM any music you've got laying around. I'll be a total pm *****.

Many thanks to sunsweet - she PMed a shedload of tracks - some not so good (for me, it's all personal choice), but some excellent stuff from:
L'Arc~en~Ciel
Dir en grey
Tongari kids
D'espairs Ray
Merry
Miyavi

:)

I've now got a load of stuff on my player I can't understand.

Back
Top Bottom