What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Which ひく is this?

podstawek

Kouhai
Reaction score
童話のフラグメント:

小さい白いにわとりはみんなに向かって言いました。
「だれが、こなにひきますか。」

私の問はです:

「ひく」のかんじ何ですか。I suspect the English meaning is "to grind", but WWWJDIC does not confirm this (or I'm poor at searching).

Thanks!

p.s. I know this is not the place for this, but then again, I don't know where I could ask for such a thing:

I love to learn Japanese from Japanese children's books (not manga, just plain old fairy stories and such, for the smallest kids). In my town I managed to buy only two, though, and have no chance for going to Japan at the moment. I'm hunting for these at our national on-line auctions, with no success so far. Buying at ebay, even from neighbouring Germany, means exorbitant money transfer costs.

Would anyone be so kind and simply put any Japanese children's book in an envelope and send it to my address? I suppose there are many in most Japanese houses. The book may even be in very, very poor condition. I will be happy to send back some British literature in return (Shakespeare, Chesterton, etc. - please ask privately for the complete list), plus a postcard from my town. I know it's not much, but I don't want to receive anything for nothing. Or, I can send Polish kid's books in exchange (got many!), if you want to look through pictures, for example :)

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
I believe you are right. Here it is with kanji: 碾く.

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
Glenn said:
I believe you are right. Here it is with kanji: 碾く.
It would fit the context and is often used in hiragana. Who grates/grinds it into flour ?

As for the books, I have a Hans Christian Anderson book of fairy tales -- but it would be fairly hefty to send international. Have you checked on regular book seller or publisher sites ? There are also some threads around here posting links to children's books and other (mostly hiragana) readers.

podstawek

Kouhai
Reaction score
thanks!

Thank you Glenn, Elizabeth and Hiroyuki Nagashima for kind answers and links to fairy tales. I've also seen Andersen's tales somewhere online, so I think I'll settle on these, though for reasons unknown I much prefer reading the paper versions...

Many thanks all the same!

Top Bottom