What's new

Where to watch sumo???

Welcome to our Japan community!

A discussion forum for all Things Japanese. Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Ned

後輩
Reaction score
Hi all!
This June would be my first time in Japan and I am really excited about visiting your country. I've been fascinated with Japan and Japanese culture since I could remember myself- it just looks so much different from everything else and even from the other Asian countries. So, when I found a great air deal from lessno.com for a non-stop NYC-TYO flight I didn't think twice about booking it 👍 Way to go Lessno!
So, straight to the point: I really want to see sumo wrestling live. :) Does anybody here know when and where there are sumo tournaments, how can I buy a ticket for one, how much it costs on average... things like that. I am really curious as I really want to see the big guys battle it out on the ring (or whatever the playing ground is called).
Thanks so much! And, of course, if you know a great place to visit in Tokyo I am all ears. I am sure there are a ton of places and certainly there's a lot of info on the net- I am going to look that up but if something pops-up in your mind, please let me know about the place.
Thanks!
Ned☝

ArmandV

Eight Times To Japan
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all!
I really want to see sumo wrestling live. :) Does anybody here know when and where there are sumo tournaments, how can I buy a ticket for one, how much it costs on average... things like that. Ned☝

Good question. I've been to Japan 4 times and going back next week, but it seems that I always manage to miss the sumo touraments. I'd like to attend one as well sometime. It seems one has to be "at the right place at right time."

epigene

相変わらず不束者です
Reaction score
Check out the Nihon Sumo Kyokai website for schedules:

2007 Grand Sumo Tournament Schedule

In addition to the official tournaments, the sumo wrestlers visit localities to promote the sport to local citizens. You might be able to catch those, too, which are actually very entertaining because you can get to see the wrestlers close up and in a more casual atmosphere. However, you need to make inquiries in Japanese:
2007 Spring Tour Schedule

The Association also organizes overseas tours every couple of years, although I don't know of any at this pont in time.

MeAndroo

先輩
Reaction score
Sumo Town info

This is where I watched sumo a number of years ago, when Asashoryu was still growing in popularity and dominance. You'll see sumo-in-training riding their bikes around, shopping, and random other things. They only stand out because of their tremendous size.

The stadium is pretty big, and I'd recommend getting seats down near the floor if you can afford them. It's nice to be up close when they start going at it.

Top Bottom