What's new

Where in Japan should I live based on cultural and geographical accessibility?

lstark

後輩
25 Apr 2012
Hi there!

I'm planning to teach english in Japan next year.
Whilst I know I won't have a final say on where I get positioned, I was wondering which areas/cities/prefectures etc... I should put as my preference?
In Australia I'm part of a Taiko club and an Onikenbai club, so I'd like to be somewhere where I can be involved in the culture (I don't think I could go a whole year without playing taiko!). I'm not very intersted in living in a large city, but being in a place where there is a bit of a night life and foreign community would be nice... It would also be a plus to be somewhere where I could travel easily to other areas.

I know this is a bit of a tough ask but any suggestions?

Look, go to any foreign land and you will be "involved in the culture". So, based solely on that criterion, you don't really have any special need to consider anywhere in Japan. It's all new culture.

Don't want a BIG city, but want SOME night life? Obviously, a mid-sized city is where you should set your sights. Access to "other areas" is pretty straightforward unless you live in the boonies of Hokkaido or Okinawa.

Just put in your application to the big eikaiwa and hope for the best. Like you wrote, you really don't have much of a choice here.

I would choose for Kobe, which isn't too big but near to Osaka, Himeji, Nara, and Kyoto (within 1.5 hour). There are some (heaps) of foreigners, and a "nightlife".

I agree with Davey. Kansai region has always seemed pretty nice when I visit, though I know that doesn't compare to actually having lived there. :)

Fukuoka is a wonderful community with a lot of nightlife and many foreigners. It is called the anti-Tokyo because it does not feel like a big city. It is a very foreigner friendly city as well. If it is a bit too big for your tastes you could try just north in Kitakyushu. I am soon returning to Japan and rather agree with you about liking mid-sized cities with foreign communities. Other places to check our might be Shizuoka or Yamagata.

I suggest the Kansai area, because you'd be in the middle of Japan and traveling from there to anywhere will be very convenient.
For the foreign community I second the Kobe suggestion!
Kobe is one of my favorite cities in Japan. Another one is Nagasaki, but that would make traveling a bit more difficult for you.

You can get involved with the culture and the people anywhere!
If you're truly interested in that, then I don't understand why you're asking about a foreign community!
A small city in the countryside with good access to bigger cities would give you the best options to really dive into Japanese culture.

He made one post and apparently never came back. Answering him is a waste of time.

Unfortunately trolls like that are anywhere, but just for the sake of other members that might have a similar question I thought I should answer.

Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom