What's new

When to use -te aru instead of -te iru?

ghawst

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new so I hope I am posting this in the right place.
From the book(s) I am learning from I have learned that 'aru' should be used instead of 'iru' in the -te iru form when the verb is (or is used as) a transitive verb.
But I think I remember seeing 'miru' used with 'iru' and not 'aru' in this form, even though it is transitive... So now I am pretty confused concerning the relation between a verb being transitive/intransitive and using -te iru/aru form.

Pre-answer Edit: I am starting to assume that 'aru' actually adds a certain nuance to the meaning in the -te iru form and is not actually required in all cases for transitive verbs, but I am still confused as to when exactly I should use -te aru and not -te iru.

Reaction score
"aru" is used when the object of a verb is not the actor of a verb. Simply put - when the verb applied to an object has been done by someone else. For example 黒板には文字が書いてあります - symbols are written (by someone) on the blackboard. 窓が開いてあります - the window is opened (by someone)
母は浴衣を畳んでいます- mother folds yukata 浴衣が畳んであります - yukata is folded (by someone)

ghawst

Registered
Reaction score
So, as I understand it, we use -te aru instead of -te iru when the verb is transitive and the object of the verb is the subject, while the actor is not mentioned and instead is only implied. Right?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm new so I hope I am posting this in the right place.
From the book(s) I am learning from I have learned that 'aru' should be used instead of 'iru' in the -te iru form when the verb is (or is used as) a transitive verb.
But I think I remember seeing 'miru' used with 'iru' and not 'aru' in this form, even though it is transitive... So now I am pretty confused concerning the relation between a verb being transitive/intransitive and using -te iru/aru form.

Pre-answer Edit: I am starting to assume that 'aru' actually adds a certain nuance to the meaning in the -te iru form and is not actually required in all cases for transitive verbs, but I am still confused as to when exactly I should use -te aru and not -te iru.
Have you already learned that the function of the -te iru form differs depending on the type of verbs? The -te iru form of durative verbs (継続動詞) is an on-going action, i.e., it's the present progressive tense (e.g. 走っている, 食べている), whereas the -te iru form of punctual verbs (瞬間動詞) expresses the present state resulting from the past action (e.g. 結婚している, 死んでいる).

The -te aru from is used to express the present state resulting from the past action of durative verbs. In transitive-intrasitive pair verbs, transitive verbs are mostly durative verbs, and intransitive verbs are mostly punctual verbs, so you can use two different expressions in almost the same meaning.
e.g.
壁に絵が掛かっている (-te iru form of the intransitive verb 掛かる)
壁に絵が掛けてある (-te aru form of the transitive verb 掛ける)

教室に椅子が並んでいる (-te iru form of the intransitive verb 並ぶ)
教室に椅子が並べてある (-te aru form of the transitive verb 並べる)

As for the difference in nuance between these two expressions, the -te aru form of transitive verbs suggests the existence of the agent/doer. (As you can see, the -te aru form is more important for transitive verbs that don't have the intransitive counterpart.)

Incidentally, the agent is not always "someone else". The speaker can be the agent. Also, を can be used to indicate the object, not always が.
e.g.
お風呂沸かしてありますから、どうぞ入ってください。
すぐに料理ができるように、材料買ってあります。
It's said that を has a nuance that it's done previously for a purpose, comparing to が, so it's close to the -te oku form in meaning.

When 開く is used as an example, it's better to put furigana on the kanji since 開く can be read both as あく(intransitive) and ひらく(transitive/intransitive). ひらいてある is valid, but あいてある is invalid because あく is intransitive.