What's new

When to use "desyou"?

Corinth L

後輩
19 Jan 2009
I have heard many of my friends using "desyou" instead of "desu". Such as "Ima nanji desyou ka?" and "Dai jo bun desyou!" instead of "Ima nanji desu ka?" and "Dai jo bun desu."

I'm quite confused regarding these 2 forms. Can anyone please clarify what they are and when to use them? Thanks in advance!

Taking a shot at it.

でしょう is usually used when the speaker inst completely sure about what they are asking or saying and are looking for some clarification.
何時ですか -- What time is it?
何時でしょうか。 -- What time do you think it is?

I have heard many of my friends using "desyou" instead of "desu". Such as "Ima nanji desyou ka?" and "Dai jo bun desyou!" instead of "Ima nanji desu ka?" and "Dai jo bun desu."

I'm quite confused regarding these 2 forms. Can anyone please clarify what they are and when to use them? Thanks in advance!

The difference between "desu ka" and "desyou ka" is, the latter sounds politer.

So it's only for politeness and not for emphasis? Can this form be used when talking with friends or is it only reserved for higher people (like boss, co-workers, etc.)? Thank you /.

The difference between "desu ka" and "desyou ka" is, the latter sounds politer.

So it's only for politeness and not for emphasis? Can this form be used when talking with friends or is it only reserved for higher people (like boss, co-workers, etc.)? Thank you /.

"... desyou ka" is already explained by the other posters.

"...desyou" holds different meanings depending on how you say it.

If it's a declarative "desyou" said without any emphatic change in pitch is a statement/remark made to suggest a high level of probability of the truth of the statement.

An exclamatory "desyou!" said emphatically is a statement made by the speaker who is firmly convinced of the truth of the statement but angered by the listener's reluctance to agree or questioning attitude.

"...desu," as you already know, is a simple declarative.

Hope it helps! 😌

"... desyou ka" is already explained by the other posters.
"...desyou" holds different meanings depending on how you say it.
If it's a declarative "desyou" said without any emphatic change in pitch is a statement/remark made to suggest a high level of probability of the truth of the statement.
An exclamatory "desyou!" said emphatically is a statement made by the speaker who is firmly convinced of the truth of the statement but angered by the listener's reluctance to agree or questioning attitude.
"...desu," as you already know, is a simple declarative.
Hope it helps! 😌

Thanks, Epigene! That was really helpful! :)

Back
Top Bottom