What's new

When is it too late to achieve your dreams!?!

AdjeYen

Registered
16 Mar 2014
Konnichiwa! 🙂

Okay, where should I start, how should I put it down, mhm... :?
Well, I'm 26 years old and I've been dreaming big ever since I graduated high school and after that I started my very own business and well, yeah, I'm pleased with it, it's going well but...I feel like I haven't been happy ever since.
I feel like I don't even belong here, the people are changing, dark days are coming ahead, the weather stinks and so on and on and on...
Time sure flies by, I've been thinking like this years and didn't risk anything (yes, I'm a fool for that), I guess it's true when they say: "Those who will not risk cannot win".
I also feel like my time's over, when I say "over", I don't mean like: "Wow, I should find a girlfriend and get married and have lots of children and live the rest of my life working my a** of and feeding them until I die" lol, I mean more like: "I'm 26 years old, it is already too late to do anythin' useful, it is too late to achieve my dreams, I should just stick to my business and continue living as a puppet".
I had the opportunity to move to Germany with my ex-korean gf, but I refused because I was too young and naive, I do regret it, yes, but I can't change the past and I should just leave it by and concentrate on what is happening now.

I have a thing for Japan, and I don't want make people think like: "Jesus, another wannabe freak who's obsessed with Japan, why doesn't they/he just stick to their country, culture, their people and stop acting like they're special or something".
I've been hearing this somewhere...I can't change that, I'm raised like that, ever since my 5 year I'm fascinated with Japan, well, who isn't?

I don't know if I could do anythin', I would like to visit Japan and spend some time there and see how things are going to be, I've heard nothin' but positive stuff 'bout it, my Croatian friend lives there with her daughter and she goes to school, they really love it.

The issue would be the money, I don't know how much the ticket would cost me, one-way or both, and I've heard the Hotel are quite expensive (the cheapest you could get), like 60 to 70$ dollar a night, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm new to this, can anyone enlighten me on this one, what are the best options to go to school, well, let's say for example learning english if that's the case, or even living there?

If anyone is interested, I have completed 18 years of school education and after that I had no intentions of going to college or anything related to this subject. But after I think about it, I made a big mistake and since I'm 26 years old I feel like I'm just too old for this, I feel like people will laugh at me if I tell 'em what I really want to achieve.
I know it's a weird, twisted situation for my age, but if anyone can help me on what the best way to join Japan would be besides just going for a vacation, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much for your understanding! :)

I didn't get my dream job until I was 43 years old. I had always wanted to be a male nurse working with the sick ,dying, and elderly. I had several jobs before I decided to use my 401K retirement fund to go back to school. In 1993 I was way older than the rest of my class , but still managed to work in nursing my last 20 years before I retired. I would still be working if not for several back injuries and back surgery combined with arthritis . Those last 20 years were by far the most rewarding of all the jobs I had. You are never to old to shoot for your dreams.

Uncle Frank

i've been told thousands of time that it's too late to achieve my goals, And now i'm 28 years old i'm still hearing same words.
Now i'm working on new business that will be 1000% successful even with difficulties i will not give up.
I like free business it makes me feel free, no Boss and no headache.

Thanks Frank for sharing your story it encouraged me to continue working on my dreams.

I really think the notion of being "too late" is far fetched. I think you could be "too locked in" with marriage, family issues (ex. dying relative), a mortgage, etc. But it's never too late.

Whatever it is, you can do it if you think you can. You may not be able to become the #1 of something in the world, but you can still do a whole lot towards fulfilling yourself personally. Even at 60.

Whatever is going on in your life, make some time every day/week toward what you want to do, be it saving money or studying Japanese. When the time comes, you'll be ready. But if you do nothing, thinking it's impossible, it will always be so.

I agree. Never too late to start working toward your dreams.

You guys have the world at your feet at 26 and 28 .... if you have the passion and desire to really achieve something, just make things happen. If you are short of money, tighten your belt and start saving; if you are under qualified, start studying right away. You can do it.

I will soon be returning to Japan to follow some of my dreams and I am in my 50s. Never too late. : )

I agree. Never too late to start working toward your dreams.

You guys have the world at your feet at 26 and 28 .... if you have the passion and desire to really achieve something, just make things happen. If you are short of money, tighten your belt and start saving; if you are under qualified, start studying right away. You can do it.

I will soon be returning to Japan to follow some of my dreams and I am in my 50s. Never too late. : )
i really liked this, Thank you very much.

The really annoying thing about human attitudes and emotions is that they tend to skew your views and complicate things when they're really simple. I've slacked off for a few months with my Japanese learning, but I've come quite a long way from the time when I couldn't speak/write a word. I can't even tell you how many times I'd get frustrated and have that "I should just quit while I'm ahead" feeling along the way. I'm really happy that I never did, because it was just a temporary frustration.

I don't mean to sound like a "one-with-the-world" hippie, but your outlook on life is a really important aspect when you pursue your goals. Don't sell yourself short and think that you're not capable of achieving the things you want in life. Most of the time, many of us are just afraid to reach out and grab what's in front of us.

In order to achieve your dreams you need the following:

1, Well-defined dreams with a measure of constancy, that yield to being achieved.
2, The intention to make an attempt at achieving your dreams.
3, The ability to achieve your dreams.

If any of the above is missing, you cannot achieve your dream unless by complete accident, which is remarkably unlikely.

An extreme case of a person who is unable to achieve his dreams would be somebody in a persistent vegetative state brought on by brain death. He cannot produce, pursue or attain dreams.

As a general statement applicable to most, if not all, countries: you need some kind of specific education. If you want to reside in a country, you need money and unless you're really minted to begin with, you need to make some. You will likely have to sell yourself on the job market - an ability of yours, to be more precise. If you want your plan to succeed, you need to know how you will acquire the skills that will allow you to find a job that will let you sustain yourself in your country of choice.

Now, I have never been to Japan, but I've read enough about a host of different things to be able to infer that Japan is a highly industrialised country with a sophisticated system of large-scale production. In such countries, in modern times, unskilled labour is rarely imported from other countries and, as such, we're back to square one: find a skill the Japanese job market will buy. Once you've set up shop over there, you can decide whether it was worth it, whether you have truly been pursuing your dream. It is only in hindsight that you can determine such things with any accuracy.

My personal opinion is that if you're truly so fascinated by Japan, you will not take the defeatist path of visiting once, temporarily to get a whiff, and then leaving with head lowered sorrowfully. Even in the 21st century you need to plan your plan of planning a plan, and that involves a lot of planning. Main plans, auxiliary plans, subordinate plans, backup plans of backup plans. There is just no simple answer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom