What's new

What's your favorite Japanese tea?

kooo

Kouhai
30 Jun 2006
Mine is Genmaicha.

"Genmaicha is the Japanese name for green tea combined with roasted brown rice. It is sometimes referred to colloquially as "popcorn tea," a literal translation of the Japanese name, because of a certain amount of popped rice." - Wikipedia

I really like popcorn flavor..it's very different. It's not weird like you might think.

genmaicha_large-1.jpg

I grew up on Jasmine and Oolong teas,switched to variety of lighter taste Japanese green teas many years ago.

My first cup of Genmaicha was at one local Japanese restaurant,honest to god I've never had such pleasant tea experience.I literally fell in love with it,it's the distinctive flavors I fancy.

I like both Japanese plain gourmet and popcorn roasted brown rice green teas.It was explained to me,Genmaicha is a famliy tea oppose to gourmet brand green tea for visting guests.

My favourite by far is, mugi-cha, or barley tea... I make it at home now too, the same way I made it in japan...

Direction for Barley Tea:

1. Boil 1 liter of water.
2. Add 30g of barley tea and continue to boil for 2 or more minutes.
3. Serve either hot or cold.

Direction for Barley Milk Tea:

1. Boil 1 liter of water.
2. Add 30g of barley tea and continue to boil for 2 or more minutes.
3. Mix with milk and sugar or use condensed sweet milk.
4. Serve either hot or cold.

Last edited:
yukio_michael said:
My favourite by far is, mugi-cha, or barley tea... I make it at home now too, the same way I made it in japan...
Barley tea must be about the most commonly drunk tea in Japan. It is naturally caffeine free, can be made in a big batch and the flavor does not get bitter as it cools. Hospitals serve barley tea to the patients, and a lot of children grow up with it. I like mine without sugar.
ricecake said:
I grew up on Jasmine and Oolong teas,switched to variety of lighter taste Japanese green teas many years ago.
I really love Oolong tea, but it's hard to get it where I live, have to order organic Oolong tea at the natural food store in town in a pound bag which is not ideal.
The best tea I ever tasted was Chinese white tea. It had such a delicate flavor and color to it.

Barley tea must be about the most commonly drunk tea in Japan.It is naturally caffeine free.

The best tea I ever tasted was Chinese white tea.It had such a delicate flavor and color to it.

I occasionally drink Barley tea,it has NO flowery taste like general common teas.Good to know it's caffeine free,I make a note of it.

I've heard of Chinese white tea,have never had it though.I probably inquire into it at later days,I am a lifetime tea drinker hehe.

at the moment my favorite is aracha from hibiki an. hibiki an is awesome

I also like japanese black tea, i once had a really awesome japanese black, which had some background flavors of green tea(which gave it such magic, it was like you could taste the heritage of the tea and where it comes from), it was ironically the cheapest japanese black tea from japan i ever drank but somehow it was really really good. shame the seller otherwise were dishonest so i couldn't buy there anymore.

you must know, in germany most people who sell japanese tea really rip you off because knows much about it. me neither but i drank enough and read enough to recognize old and bad tea.

but anyway i like the aracha from hibiki an, can someone please tell me if its really typical flavor or more what westerners like, because i like it. I'm just wondering what japanese taste is and i want to feel really japanese when drinking tea.

---------- Post added at 05:40 ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 ----------

chinese white is hard to come by in good quality, at least if you want to drink bai hao yin zhen silver needle (its only made from the unopened buts), the problem is most people always give good recommendation about shops and then the tea is bad. also if you want to drink yin zhen i would advise you to drink it with gaiwan, at least i only taste the real flavor when i drink it with the taiwan with the lid nearly closed. but its and awesome tea. if you find a good retailer its worth a try. damn i like so many teas.

na actually forget what i wrote above hibiki an is just awesome!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom