What's new

What's your DVD collection like?

Mycernius

The Hairy Wookie
4 Feb 2005
I was sorting through my DVD collection the other day. I have normal rubbish like Spiderman and the X-Men, but it was when I finally sorted it I realised that I have more foreign language DVDs than anything else. Two in German, Das Boot and Downfall (an excellent film), two in French, Betty Blue and Nikita, but most of them were of mainly Japanese, a few Chinese and Korean titles. It is obvious where this drift towards more asain cinema started, since I joined the forum. I have always had an interest in asian films, mainly Hong Kong, but reading reviews and seeing what other people recommend my buying habit has changed. Isayhello was directly responsible for me buying Suicide Club. I have become less of a Hollywood fan and more of an asian film fan over the past year.
So what is your DVD collection like and what started you off on it?:)

My personal DVD collection consists of only The Last Samurai.

I was deeply impressed with it at the theatre, and then watched it a few times on DVD. It was then that I thought, heck, I would waste far too much time if I bought anymore DVDs. I stick with renting them for one day only now, and the only DVD I've rented more than once is Lost In Translation (looks at my avatar).

Last edited:
My DVD COllection...

All sorts of stuff, ranging from The Juons to Spongebob Squarepants The Movie.
Currently my collection is at around 160-170 dvd's and still growing slowly. (though im getting kinda low on money :-( )

I think Thats the best way to put it.

I have a collection several anime movies. I have Princess Monoke and Spirited Away. I have the first season of Inuyasha and Revolutionary Girl Utena. As far as movies is concerned, I only have one and it's Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.👍

I Have A Strange Habit.

I buy used DVD's cheap at Hollywood Video, 3 for $25. I grab any ol thing that looks interesting with the idea I will watch them someday after I retire. I have 103 so far and have watched about 10 of them. I hope they aren't out of style be the time I get around to watching them.

Frank

:eek:

yesterday i saw on cbs morning they interviewed a compulsive hoarder
about like that much

Frank D. White said:
I buy used DVD's cheap at Hollywood Video, 3 for $25. I grab any ol thing that looks interesting with the idea I will watch them someday after I retire. I have 103 so far and have watched about 10 of them. I hope they aren't out of style be the time I get around to watching them.
Frank
:eek:
Working on the premise that if its cheap I'll buy it before it goes up or dissappears.

Well, I too am a great Asian film lover. I dont actually own a DVD player, but when I was in Myanmar, I bought 'Old boy,' 'Sex is Zero,' ummm and a couple of other Korean ones that I dont remember where they are or what the names are.
Actually I bought them even though I have watched them before, but I wanted them to brush up the language skills.

My DVD collection is mostly Horror films, Japanese films, and then films like The Hours and Wit with a Harry Potter movie here or there for good messure. OH! And concert DVDs, all of which are of foreign artists.

I have a lot of DVDs in my home; most of them are my husband's choices so they are mostly block busters or science fictions. We have movies, series, cartoons and documentaries.:97:

My lists of DVDs are too long to be listed. Most of them are American made ones, after watching many movies/series...etc from many countries I still think in general American productions are the best to watch for me, 👍 no offence to other countries though, it's just personal preference.

Like most people, I'd rather not try to list every DVD I own. I own a fair bit of anime, charmingly bad kung fu, hip hop documentaries, live concert sets, and an occasional recent hollywood release. I tend to shun purchasing movies that I've seen more than once, mostly because I rarely watch movies multiple times. I also rarely buy DVDs unless I'm actually interested in the extra features, which is the case with something like the LOTR trilogy. The vast majority of regular movies are comedies, and I'm extremely discriminating when it comes to choosing them. You won't find stuff like Wedding Crashers in my house.

-
->Flowers of Shanghai (vhs, not dvd)
->Temptress Moon (vhs, not dvd)
->Yi Yi (vhs, not dvd)
->The Sisters of the Gion (vhs, not dvd, filmed in 1930 Kyoto)
->To Live
->House of Bamboo (dectective, filmed Noir, filmed in 1955 Tokyo)
->Kimstim Collection: World of Geisha
->Another Lonely Hitman
->Peeping (Tou kui) (director : Marco Mak)
->Ladies' Phone Club (very cheap)
->Beautiful Killing Machine
->Sex & Fury
->Beautiful Target
->Golden Lotus: Love and Desire
->Beautiful Prey
->A Woman Called Sada Abe
->The Notorious Concubines
->Top Fighter 2: Deadly Fighter Dolls
->China Dolls
->Golden Lotus: Love and Desire
->Tokyo Decameron: Three Tales of Madness and Sensuality
->House of Bamboo (dectective, filmed Noir, filmed in 1955 Tokyo)
->Big Boobs Buster (asia pulp cinemia)
->Intimate Confessions Of A Chinese Courtesan
->36 Secrets Of Courtship
->Ogenki Clinic (sex comedy)

on and on.

Mine is not as big. It is mainly formed my anime OVa's like Cowboy bepop and Escaflowne full series. The rest is Resident Evil, Matrix, Last Samurai and many many vamps, including Nosferatu. I kinda like vaps... Except Blade.. ew. Northamerican vampires are not of my taste.

My DVD collection consists of exactly 0 DVDs.

I used to have a decent collection of VHS videos. But when they started coming out with DVDs I had to think to myself "Whats this? Does this mean I have to buy all my videos over again on DVD because nobody will be using VCRs in a few years? Screw that!"

So I decided not to buy movies anymore. You just know that in a few years they'll come out with some better format for movies than DVDs and all those DVDs you've spent $20 bucks each on will be available for about 50 cents at a garage sale or something like video tapes are now.

Sorry, I've got to learn to control this pessimism......

Well, I'm all over the board. I have men's action (anything with Ah-nold), sci-fi (Star Wars, Star Trek), horror (Dracula), monster movies (Godzilla) a few TV series (Sopranos), superhero movies (Superman, X-Men), several Japanese movies (Ringu, Ju-on), gritty stuff (Pulp Fiction), classics (The Ten Commandments), a little of everything. And I'm adding more all the time. I'm damn proud of my collection. But it's only half as large as my anime collection. Heh! Unlike senseiman, I don't worry about built-in obsolescence with home viewing formats, I love movies too much to be without them at my beck and call. That's just the way things are when it comes to technology these days and I have no problem with that.

Flashjeff said:
Heh! Unlike senseiman, I don't worry about built-in obsolescence with home viewing formats, I love movies too much to be without them at my beck and call. That's just the way things are when it comes to technology these days and I have no problem with that.
I still have my Laserdiscs at home! lol

xerxes99 said:
I still have my Laserdiscs at home! lol

Good heavens! Really? Boy! That goes back more than a few moons! I seem to remember reading how laserdiscs were gonna replace VHS as the entertainment medium of choice, but they didn't survive because you couldn't record to them, just like 8-track tapes couldn't usurp cassettes for the same reason. Do you still have the player too? Inquiring minds wanna know!

:)

Movies:
Sin City
LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
LOTR: The Two Towers
LOTR: The Return of the King
Constantine
Underworld
Kung Fu Hustle
Shaolin Soccer
Zatoichi
Battle Royale 1
The Exorcist
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants

TV:
Smallville Seasons:1 - 4
Gilmore Girls Seasons : 1 - 3
Roswell Seasons: 1 - 2
The OC Seasons: 1

I have quite a small DVD collection. I was a late comer to DVD and now HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is coming so I'm going to fall behind again (+_+)
Apart from copies (naughty), most of the DVDs I have are from Asia, as I know I am not going to get to see them any other way. I have;

A very good 'Ringu' box set,
'Rasen' (Spiral),
'A Tale of Two Sisters'
'Uzumaki,'
'Kairo' (Pulse),
'Korei' (Seance),
'Warm Water Under a Red Bridge',
'The Eye'
'Ju-on'
+ others, I think

Other faves on DVD and VHS;
'Bladerunner',
'The Matrix',
'Alien' series (mainly first one)
'Zatoichi',
'Amelie',
'Delicatessen',
'Breakfast Club',
'Donnie Darko'
'Audition'
'2001' + '2010'
'Full Metal Jacket'
'The Shining'
'Fargo'
'The Big Lebowski'

And Alan Partridge TV series (I can watch it over and over again)

Last edited:
i just bought my 450'th dvd the other day. i have 109 Asian Dvd's,

i love Asian Dvd's i have been collecting them for a year now all started with Tale of Two Sisters
Koma
Ringu

Tale of Two Sisters and Koma Blew me away very good movies IMO.. so i had to keep buying : )

My dvds

I think i have a collection of up to 600 dvds.

I would say that over 50 percent of it consists of asian and european movies. I especially go for interesting movie directors and cult movies and a lot of obscure genres as well as the finest masterpieces.

I am not at all interested in movies like The last samurai or Memoirs of a geisha, which i find are vain attempts by hollywood to enter the exotic world that naive moviegoers hope to find.

Flashjeff said:
Good heavens! Really? Boy! That goes back more than a few moons! I seem to remember reading how laserdiscs were gonna replace VHS as the entertainment medium of choice, but they didn't survive because you couldn't record to them, just like 8-track tapes couldn't usurp cassettes for the same reason. Do you still have the player too? Inquiring minds wanna know!
:)

You think THAT is something..hehe...a friend of mine recently bought 2 Beta-Max players and over 100 movies followed with the players. He also is still buying old VHS tapes.

Back
Top Bottom